Menu

s/o writing instruction--can you compare and contrast these for me?

It's Horner, not Homer.  :)

Maybe your library has a copy of Kane?  Honestly some of the texts WTM recommends for high school are used in grad level courses, and well they're just not necessarily practical for all students.  I got Kane, Corbett, etc. years ago to start reading ahead.  I can pull it again, but I don't recall anything that struck me as something that would be practical for my kid someday.  It was all just sorta nice theories.  I just ordered Horner, so we'll see.  Something more in the freshman college rhetoric text might be a little more within reach, and it seems like that's what Horner is.

Well, I haven't actually heard the name, and my eyes are giving me some trouble--that rn and m look an awful lot alike! :mellow:     I also do not live where there is a library, so that won't work.

I was just reading the reviews online, and it's hard to tell. My 13yo loved On Writing Well, and I was wondering if there was a useful writing handbook that could also be used as an exercise book. We read through Elements of Style, but there aren't exercises in there. I use to have Writers Inc., but the pages were too busy for him. I am actually looking for a clearly written adult book rather than a book for children.

Someone on the boards here made an Elements of Style workbook.  Or was it Lively Art?  Sorry, one or the other.  Do you know how to do a google search of the boards?  You use your search terms and site:welltrainedmind.com.  So you might try "lively art workbook site:welltrainedmind.com " or variations and see what you get.  

I guess we'll see about Horner.  There are inexpensive copies on amazon, so you could try, assuming the postage to where you are isn't horrible.  It sounds like your student would be well-served with the books suggested in WTM (Kane, Corbett, etc. ).  You could look through the high school recs for WTM and see if anything strikes you.  You could also consider going through the WWS books at an expedited pace.  We did WWS1 last year, doubling up lessons.  I just fiddled around with WWS2 last night.  I was going to give up on it, sigh, but I guess we'll take the plunge.  I found a way to condense it to 13 weeks, picking just what I really need from it, so that's my plan.  

Someone on the boards here made an Elements of Style workbook.  Or was it Lively Art?  Sorry, one or the other.  Do you know how to do a google search of the boards?  You use your search terms and site:welltrainedmind.com.  So you might try "lively art workbook site:welltrainedmind.com " or variations and see what you get.  

Look here for The Lively Art of Writing.

My 13yo loved On Writing Well, and I was wondering if there was a useful writing handbook that could also be used as an exercise book.

Not a handbook, but 50 Writing Tools provides a nice set of exercises in each chapter.

We read through Elements of Style, but there aren't exercises in there.

There is a workbook for Strunk & White, too.

I am actually looking for a clearly written adult book rather than a book for children.

Several great books suggested in this thread.