Menu

Did someone create a workbook for Strunk & White's Elements of Style?

I just pulled this from my shelf for my current 9th grader to work through this summer. My older three read through each chapter, took some notes and met with me to discuss. I'd like to add something to make sure that the lessons in the book are sticking. I searched a bit in the archives and found nothing; but I have a faint memory of someone here creating one. I know there is the LAOW workbook out now, but I'm specifically thinking of Strunk & White.

Thanks!

Lisa

Here's the one I'm planning to use:

http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~cheps/pdf/style1-18.pdf

I don't know if there has been one created by a WTM'er.

HTH,

Carolyn

Wow, I didn't know this existed, thanks! I have Strunks on my shelf and was wondering how to implement it.

Now to figure out how to us Lively Art of Writing. . .

B

• 1 year later...
Guest WhatamIdoinghere?

Anybody know SWB's opinion of Strunk's book and/or how it jives with her 'teaching to write' style.  Thanks in advance.

**new to posting so please inform nicely if I'm doing this wrong.

Lisa, my youngest is reading the Strunk book for his summer work in AP English Language. He's taking notes like your older kids did, but he is not just regurgitating the information. In his notes he makes his own examples much like the "workbook," but he also cross-references against other sources that may have different advice. Or he states questions. For example, why do Classical names that end in "es" or "is" only get an apostrophe for possession, but no mention is made of Herodotus. So the stated rule is not really definitive. A better answer from a different source is cited.

I am doing the work for myself as well and yes, it is a pain in the backside, but I am asking a lot of usage questions and I think that is the point.

Just a thought.

Anybody know SWB's opinion of Strunk's book and/or how it jives with her 'teaching to write' style.  Thanks in advance.

**new to posting so please inform nicely if I'm doing this wrong.

I seem to recall SWB/JW recommending that students read through Strunk & White every year of high school.  

Lisa, my youngest is reading the Strunk book for his summer work in AP English Language. He's taking notes like your older kids did, but he is not just regurgitating the information. In his notes he makes his own examples much like the "workbook," but he also cross-references against other sources that may have different advice. Or he states questions. For example, why do Classical names that end in "es" or "is" only get an apostrophe for possession, but no mention is made of Herodotus. So the stated rule is not really definitive. A better answer from a different source is cited.

I am doing the work for myself as well and yes, it is a pain in the backside, but I am asking a lot of usage questions and I think that is the point.

Just a thought.

Good to know, though this is an OLD thread!  I had completely forgotten about that workbook, though, so good to jog the old memory!  :D

Lisa

I seem to recall SWB/JW recommending that students read through Strunk & White every year of high school.  

This is correct, although, if I understand correctly, SWB's newest recommendation - the New Oxford Guide To Writing - makes Strunk and White unnecessary.