Menu

Looking for a good book on the cell

smfmommy

My 13year old is interested in the cell and I would like to find a colorful, interesting book on just that topic. A good DVD would work too. I can only seem to find textbooks when I search or books on genetics.  We will be covering Biology next year but I would like to encourage her interest now.

Thank you!

Not a book, but...

The Kids Discover magazine has an issue on cells. Their material is at a gr. 4-8 level. There's also a downloadable i-pad version.

The Thinkwell Biology CD-Rom is a basic college level intro to biology and has quite a few video tutorials just on the cell -- parts, function, reproduction, etc. We got ours used for about $35. Check out some of the tutorials for free on YouTube to see what you think.

I have so many different 'children's' books and others in this area, and the ones I recently bought are amazing. It is a series, bright an colorful, almost a comic book style. I read them even with my 4-year-old who has a keen interest in this area, but I kid you not when I say they could put many freshman biology/chemistry classes to shame!

Really amazing...

Here is one of our favorites, although there is a plain 'cell' one as well. I have several and have not found one I didn't like:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0879696109/ref=pd_aw_sbs_1?pi=SL500_SS115