Menu

Having my children tested. Have questions???

mom2agang

(I have someone who can administer the testing) I was looking at the Standford or the Iowa testing for some of my kids. Has it helped to see "Where" they are or what they need to work on to give you direction in schooling? I have a couple of students who are learning challenged. Has anyone ever get testing like The Cogat or OLSAT? Did those help with your child? Somedays I just feel REALLY lost on some of my kids abilities.

We did the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills with our DSs (that's the test variety that our homeschool group offers each year). We tested DSs:

DS#1, in each of grades 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

DS#2, in each of grades 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

DS#2 has mild LDs (stealth dyslexia, very VSL, struggles HEAVILY with spelling, writing, and abstract math concepts -- i.e., Algebra). We delayed his first testing until 5th grade, when he was just beginning to turn the corner on some of his LDs.

With both DSs, we used a test practice booklet specifically for the Iowa (called "Scoring High"). At the start of the spring semester, we would do a 1-2 pages, about 3x/week, and by test time (late April) had completed the book. It was helpful for learning/practicing the test taking strategies, and I also thought it was a handy review (and sometimes first exposure) of topics.

Yes, we found it helpful to test:

- mostly for ME to make sure I wasn't forgetting to teach them something

- one of the early years we tested, I realized I needed to do a bit more with them on understanding graphs and charts, and on using library skills and resources such as an atlas

- mostly, the tests just verified what I already knew about DSs' working level

- for DS#2 with the mild LDs, it was verification over the years that he was catching up to grade level work, and then working at grade level for math

- learn test-taking strategies (from the test prep book done in advance of the test)

- give DSs practice in taking tests (filling in the bubbles correctly, being timed, following directions, etc.)

I worked to reduce their test anxiety by making sure they understood this was about ME as a teacher, not them. Also, for the 3 days of tests, we would go out and do something fun after each day -- get ice cream, park day with other testing friends for the afternoon, make popcorn and watch a movie in the afternoon...

HOWEVER:

Because students' abilities in the different subject areas often vary wildly, and because they don't really settle down into their "true" grade level until 4th or 5th grade, I personally don't see much point in testing earlier than that.

Also, I don't see any point in using these types of standardized tests with most high school students. In high school, your time is much better spent on tests that are helps toward possible college admissions (SAT, ACT, and SAT II or Subject), scholarships (PSAT, SAT, ACT), or actual college credit (AP, CLEP, etc.).

Hope that helps! BEST of luck, whatever you decide. Warmest regards, Lori D.

We test our kids starting in 3rd (grade they would be in PS, not necessarily grade I have them in) and only do it every-other-year. I never make a decision based solely on their test results. - Mostly, it is a way for us to see where they are vs. a nationally normed peer group,

- If they have any gaping holes (either that I know about or am unaware of),

- If my daily experience with them matches the test results, and

- To give them some experience with timed, fill-in-the-bubble, standardized tests.

We also wanted something 'in hand' should we want to 'prove' the kids were doing ok vs. public schooled peers.

We use the ITBS. Last year, I added the CogAt. I probably wouldn't do it again as it wasn't very helpful for us (except to give me anxiety that I am the reason they aren't "up to potential").

The ITBS results have very rarely surprised us. (DD#2's reading comprehension tested higher than her older sister's at the "same age" -- which was amazing to us since DD#1 had taken off in her reading so much earlier than DD#2.) They tested poorly in the areas we don't study (like 'social studies') or that we knew they'd test poorly in. They tested well in the areas we thought they'd test well in.

I will say that I am glad we didn't start earlier as they would have done poorly across the board due to both being 'late bloomers.' If they have learning challenges, you might want to go with something like the Stanford since it isn't timed (I think).

Yes. Some places require you to jump through some hoops (like watch their training video or sending in a copy of your bachelor's degree), but others simply ask you to read their rules and check a box indicating you'll abide by them. 

I know there are a couple they can take online (Stanford 10?).

BJU Testing requires you to fill out a form saying where you got your Bachelor's Degree and what field/year, then you watch a free 6 minute video online if you're doing SAT10. The video isn't required for ITBS. It's pretty simple. No mailing anything in. The video is all common sense stuff.

SAT10 is available online from some places. I think A Beka had good price on that, though it didn't include the OLSAT. SAT10 with OLSAT is available from Brewer maybe? I remember it seemed a bit expensive. Paper version is cheaper if you're doing both.

I would separate out in your mind the difference between performance (achievement) levels and ability (IQ) levels.  This is particularly important where the student may have learning challenges, as the performance might not be up to the ability level (or, in my kids' case, vice versa due to odd processing issues).

As far as where a student is performing in relation to grade levels, I would mostly go by the programs you are using, but I agree that it's a good idea to check in from time to time with a standardized test to see where they fall.  I can't really comment on which one, except that my understanding is that the Stanford is not timed, so it might be a better choice for a student with learning issues than the ITBS.  Note that this alone will not tell you whether the student is currently performing up to the level of their ability or hampered by learning issues; it will only compare to grade level.

As for ability testing, that's not something I would attempt without a professional psych.  The CogAT is designed to be a group screening test for ability.  It is not an actual IQ test and IMO is completely inappropriate for a learning-challenged student as it relies heavily on an area that is unrelated to ability:  speed.  

If you want to be able to compare ability to achievement or otherwise ferret out the learning issues, IMO there is no way other than actual psych testing with an individually-administered IQ test.  It's unclear from your post whether the learning challenges in question have been diagnosed already - if they haven't, maybe this would be a good time to get that done.  Such diagnosis should include an IQ test and an achievement test.  The achievement test may put approximate grade level numbers on the performance in various areas, though I'm not sure that's what you're looking for - the results look a little different from a group-administered achievement test.  Ultimately, the results and professional analysis yield a picture of where the strengths and weaknesses lie.

I have a couple of students who are learning challenged. Has anyone ever get testing like The Cogat or OLSAT?

My kids did the OLSAT online version. It won't be able to tell if a child has any learning issues. Maybe if a child score unusually low in either section of the OLSAT but from what I saw while my kids were doing the tests, it was a logic test. It is also a timed test so the child would have to read at a normal pace the questions and not dawdle. My younger ran out of time on the OLSAT because I forgot it was timed so he took his time pondering.

We did the SAT10 too and the results just confirm what I already knew.

Alternately, you might look to see if a tutor or someone you can find administers the Woodcock Johnson.  It gives ACTUAL GRADE LEVELS for everything, not just percentiles, and it has a number of optional extra tests the person can administer.  It's often done by psychs, but I found a tutor to do it for $75.  That's more than some standardized tests, but it gave me a lot more info.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but you can also go through the ps can get evals for free.  Some people don't like the intrusion, but on the other hand the price is right. That too would give you way more info than a standardized test.