Menu

Decorating school room???

Blessed with seven

Okay, I now have a school room, I am not crafty or real creative so would like a place I could go online to order reasonably priced decorations, bible verses, wall -posters, ABC's etc.....maybe a garden seen for a corner I want to put bean bags for "reading" and chilling out.  It is a small room but I am thrilled to have an actual separate room now...need some help.  Don't have time to "make" stuff nor do I want to, peel and stick would be good..ha!

I think stuff the kids do makes the best decor!

A laundry line can be an easy way to swap out kids work by clipping it up with clothespins.

It is also easy to change things out on a cork board.  To keep cork boards looking nice I like to first staple down fabric.  I like fabric instead of paper because the tack holes don't show as much.  I like to choose a pattern so it looks nice if it has to be empty but not so busy a pattern that the kids stuff isn't the star.

Calendars are half price right now....they are a great source for art prints.  You can hang a nice frame and swap out the art every month or whatever.

For store bought items look at a teacher supply store or online for classroom decorations.

I found tons of cute stuff at Dollar Tree. I had posters with phonics, alphabet, numbers, daily and weather calendars, addition/subtraction/multiplication facts posters etc. They also have borders for chalk boards. Die cut outs of books, bibles, apples and a bunch of other stuff.

Seriously consider whether or not a decorated room is a good learning environment for each of your children.  I have always considered the typical school room decor to be visual vomit-even as a very young student in those school rooms.  I found it oppressive and an obstacle to be overcome. It's the visual equivalent of fingernails on a black board on an endlessly dripping faucet nearby. Your kids may have the complete opposite reaction to it, but don't assume every kid finds it pleasant- some hate it.

My nephew very well the first few years of school, then all of a sudden he struggled with school but they were having a hard time figuring out what was causing him to be so agitated and unfocused in school.  I asked my brother, "Is his classroom full of lots of decor and clutter?"  Yep.  Even the teacher, a hippie, dippie, trippy, artsy, fartsy, type wore the loudest boldest prints with the biggest, craziest, rattliest jewelry you ever saw or heard was herself very cluttered. She left lots of "stuff" piled up all over the classroom.  His previous teachers were much tidier and orderly and had much more subtlety decorated rooms.  They had a desk brought in for him with sides on it so he didn't have to see all that stuff all day.  It improved things for him. The next year he had a visually calmer environment and did just fine in a normal desk.

Some kids don't mind some color on the walls.  Some don't mind color and a few decorations.  Some don't mind color and a lot of decorations.  Some love it and thrive in it. Just be aware and adapt accordingly .

Seriously consider whether or not a decorated room is a good learning environment for each of your children. I have always considered the typical school room decor to be visual vomit-even as a very young student in those school rooms. I found it oppressive and an obstacle to be overcome. It's the visual equivalent of fingernails on a black board on an endlessly dripping faucet nearby. Your kids may have the complete opposite reaction to it, but don't assume every kid finds it pleasant- some hate it.

Some kids don't mind some color on the walls. Some don't mind color and a few decorations. Some don't mind color and a lot of decorations. Some love it and thrive in it. Just be aware and adapt accordingly .

I think these are valid points. I know how tempting posters and such are, btdt. But a calm atmosphere can be a plus. You might want to google images of Waldorf classrooms to get some ideas.

On the Waldorf theme, a seasonal display with mainly natural materials can be lovely.

I would also think about lighting and being able to change from brighter lights to soothing lamps with lampshades, depending on the activity.

ETA I just googled Waldorf classroom (or kindergarten) Pinterest and found a lot of great ideas. Check out Lisbet Bjerregaard's Pinterest.

When we got a classroom, I let DD decorate. We have a big whiteboard, two bulletin boards covered with fabric, and pocket charts attached with cup hooks over bookshelves (which both gives display space and gives some hidden storage). We don't have many commercial decorations (I would have said none until last week, when DD found reptile and amphibian bulletin board decorations, so some of them are now hanging up), but do usually have various things related to what DD is doing, a calendar, weekly schedule, and a weekly checklist of independent assignments.

I prefer school spaces that look like libraries rather than classrooms. A wall of bookcases, a wall with chalkboard paint, a giant map, and a display space for kids' work is good. Add a table and comfy chairs and you're good.

If you try to fill the space with decorations right away, you won't have that space available to use for more practical reasons later. I do like the idea of having plants or a fish tank in the room, but regular observation of nature is always a good thing. Everything should have a purpose to earn its spot.

I agree about not putting up loads of bright posters, but to me maps are a must. I love maps especially when they have that old fashion color scheme. I would love to have a house big enough that we could have a school room with lovely maps, art work, and natural things. Like a nature corner. :)

999702_10151502689071432_339141995_n.jpg

This is our school room, I don't have anything on three walls other than a white board and a bulletin board.  On the fourth wall I have "every child is an artist" in vinyl letters and a clothesline.  I covered the clothespins in coordinating ribbons and I only hang their most recent work.  I don't like clutter, even on the walls, I hang what we are working on for the week on the bulletin board so it is changed weekly.  We use lapbooks, so if they need to review, they can pull it out :).  When I taught in a classroom, I only covered my bulletin boards, nothing on the walls.