Menu

Honors Colleges

Miss Marple

Have any of you found that Honors Colleges were actually beneficial for your college graduates?  I'm wondering because ds#4 has been invited to apply to Baylor's Honors College.  The other boys were invited to apply to their state school's honors college, but found that it would not be very beneficial (engineering majors).  This son aspires to go to law school.  I can see that a healthy literature program and discussion *could* be highly beneficial.  What types of questions should one ask about an honors college?  I'm assuming they are not all equally good - but what makes an honors college good?  We will be in Waco later this month when ds will be interviewing for some scholarships (keep your fingers crossed!) and I wonder if we can meet with the honors folks as well.  But I'd really like to know what to look for first.  

I have known several Honors College students from Baylor.  They have all spoken highly of the Honors College.   One of the advantages at Baylor is an Honors College dorm.  You can also "design your own major" as part of the Baylor Honors College.  

I know that there are a lot of different definitions of "Honors College" at different schools.  Some things I would ask if comparing different honors colleges are:

1.  How many students are enrolled in the honors college?

2.  Do honors students receive advising through a special honors college advisor?  Do they receive priority course registration?

3.  How large are honors classes?

4.  What courses constitute the honors program?

5.  Do all honors college students take a particular honors core?  Are these core courses different from the university core courses, or are they special sections of the same core designated for honors students?

6.  Are there honors courses within particular majors?

7.  Are there any special honors college programs--special study abroad programs, etc.

8.  Is there an honors dorm?

9.  Are the honors courses opened to non-honors college majors?

10.  What are the special requirements of honors college majors?  Research projects, etc?

11.  What special opportunities are available for honors college students?

12.  How are professors for honors courses chosen?

8.  Is there an honors dorm?

and is it available only to students in the Honors College?

I overheard a parent complaining recently that at her child's Honor College the Honor's College dorm was considered a great place to live and was thus overrun by non-Honor's College students.

Regards,

Kareni

My DDs had different experiences in honors colleges, but both were positive. DD1 went to an honors college that was on a completely separate campus. All students on campus were hc students. Everyone had a private bedroom in a suite with three other students. All hc students were required to live on campus, even if they lived across the street. This built a real sense of community at the school. All classes were honors classes. Students were required to do an internship or study abroad, and each student did a senior thesis. Scholarship money was abundant; DD actually got paid each semester! DD2 is in an honors college at a large university. Because she is in the hc, she has 2 advisors -- one for the hc and one for the college of the arts. She is required to do 2 senior theses -- one for each college. Honors college classes are the core curriculum classes, special ones only for hc students. There is honors housing, which is basically certain floors of the dormitory reserved for hc students. She received extra scholarship money for being in the hc, and scholarship money for her study abroad experience in Paris this past summer. There are also special activities and clubs for hc students. All in all, a great experience for both of them!

We have yet to know how my daughter's honor college experience will play out post college.  But, I will say that she has really enjoyed its class offerings.  It has offered interesting classes that take kind of a a different twist on things.  It also has offered classes that fulfill two requirements at once in a creative way, such as science and art.  She is invited to special lectures and luncheons, and overall it has been a very positive experience for her.

My daughter has been accepted in to that too. I love that there is a residential college. To be honest, I did not like the general population and such at Baylor, so without the honors college, she would not go that route. IF she goes to Baylor, she will be in the honors residential college.

At my university, the Honors College students got a lot of perks -- nicer dorms, priority scheduling even as freshmen, possibly special library privileges (can't remember), and a generally more personalized education. I know my experience was all around very different from that of the nonHonors freshmen. I hope that has not changed.