Menu

When did you start MEP? (older child question)

alisoncooks

I'm rethinking our approach to schooling...  adding in more visual ways of learning for my oldest DD, who struggles with more traditional methods. 

MEP has caught my attention again (I am interested every now and then, but it seems so labor intensive to get it started!)  Has anyone started MEP with an older student...or started NOT at the beginning?  Looking at the samples, I think DD could jump in at Yr 2 but I'm wondering if she'd miss important stuff by doing so...

Any thoughts?

I use MEP as a supplement only for my 9 year old. I keep at grade level for now, and just print pages I think are interesting/have a supplementing quality to them :) It would be a great primary program, obviously, but i am invested in Singapore. i think you can just flip through the lessons and see if there are any gaps.

Year 2 is what my 7 yo is doing now. Year 1 mostly covers number facts from 1-20 . It also covers Roman numerals, calendar, telling time, basic shapes, easy weights and measurements, and a few other things. I taught money counting, calendar, basic weights and measures, and telling time hands on around the house using US money and a real calendar instead of their worksheets. 7yo is definitely not too old to start into the program. From year 1, I would do a basic teaching on the <,>,= symbols if your former math program didn't cover that. If the charts and puzzles in year 2 are too new for your child, I would go back and pick some worksheets from year 1 that use charts, tables, and puzzles. The number work will be easy, but it would get your child use to the MEP style of teaching.

P.S. I am having to tweak MEP ALOT with money, weights, and measures. If you print out the worksheets on standard sized printer paper, the printer shrinks the measurement on the page. Because it is European it teaches European weights, measures, and coins. Recently we had to skip a few lessons that dealt with converting g to kg and cl to l. I try to come up with my own problems to substitute those questions using inches, feet, yards, ounces, pounds, etc.... Eventually, I will teach the European weights and measures, but for now I am wanting ds to learn the US calculations he will encounter in real life America. (Although, I do think the European system of g, kg, cl, l, cm, m is so much simpler to learn and teach!). Instead of having my ds measure CM on the worksheet problems, I cross those problems out and write " hands on application" and ask him to measure something of similar size around his desk. Another piece of advice is to use the centimeter side of a meter stick or yard stick as a number line as needed.

The first five or six weeks of year 2 review concepts introduced in year 1.  If your child struggles with those lessons, you should consider backing up to year 1.  Otherwise, move forward at your child’s pace.  

I change pounds and pence to dollars and cents.  I also alter the calendar lessons to reflect U.S. practices.  I do not change any of the metric measurement lessons.  Metric is the world standard for science and industry.  Also, the purpose of many of the lessons involving measurement is to teach base ten.  My children learn American standard measurement through daily life and concept books such as Me and the Measure of Things. 

I set my printer to print actual size (scale = 100%).  The only information I lose is the MEP header.     

Thanks for all the feedback.  I think she'd really like MEP.... but she resists change. 

Today she says she wants to keep our current math program b/c "she likes it."

(Wow, if this is what "likes it" looks like, I'd hate to see "hates it!")

Perhaps I'll print a few pages off, just to tempt her. :p  She loves puzzles and mental math; I think she'd like this if she tried it...

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

I set my printer to print actual size (scale = 100%).  The only information I lose is the MEP header.     

I lose most of the page number. Grr. I have to write that in by hand. 

I usually just use pounds and pence for MEP but occasionally change, and I have my kids learn both calendar methods. I do NOT change any of the measurements to inches/pounds. I want my kids to understand both systems.