Menu

What are you doing for logic for a 6th grader?

I have A of A but decided to put that off till next year.  I decided this  year should focus more on problem solving, and that A of A would go well with starting to write essays.  

So anyway, this year we are doing Zaccaro's Ten Things . . . 

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Future-Mathematicians-Scientists-Rarely/dp/0967991544/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389144696&sr=8-1&keywords=zaccaro%27s+10+things

(the darn title is too long to type out!)  and it has been a huge hit with my 6th grader, and, surprisingly, my 2nd grader as well.  "But I like cheese!" has become our joking family shorthand for "Aw, darn, things aren't always the way I want them to be!" (you have to read the First Thing to get this . . . ).  And they've learned Occam's Razor, and that you have to be open minded but not so open minded that your brains fall out . . . it's been really enjoyable and they've both been very engaged in the discussions we've had over this book.

We also have Zaccaro's Becoming a Problem Solving Genius which we've worked on a little bit.  We'll come back to it more when we finish 10 things.

My dd has been working through the Logic Liftoff series, and now that she is taking a programming class I'm considering that logic. After she completes that and the last part of Orbiting with Logic that she has left, we'll probably do the Zaccaro book.

If you don't mind a conservative bent & some Christianity, we liked Fallacy Detective in 6th. (So many rabbit trails!) We did it outloud, together, and took just over a semester to finish it.

DD#1 did Art of Argument with three friends meeting once per week during first semester with me as the facilitator. We played Jeopardy a couple of times, had some really interesting debates, some rabbit trails, and expanded on what we learned with FD the previous year. (You don't have to have done FD to do AofA.)

FD is much more simplistic in most ways, but is a great lead-in to the topic. AoA has a lot more detail. I'd do FD first & then AoA - never the other way around. You could always just do one or the other, too.

I'm glad I waited to do AoA until "7th grade" because my kids aren't advanced & it took every bit of dd#1's maturity and ability to successfully complete AoA in one semester (with me as the teacher, natch).

That looks fun!

It was!  There is an assignment in the beginning where you have to make several chocolate recipes and find out which one tastes the best.  You also design a name for the chocolate and the wrapper.  My son was so excited (jumping around the kitchen) that I had to tell him to calm down.   :coolgleamA:  

We will be starting A of A in feb. any idea how long it will take to do finish?

It depends on how you schedule it. DD started it in June and did 2 lessons per week (reviews counting as one lesson). She just finished the final fallacy (#28) today and the next 2 weeks will be the final review from the student book and the unit tests from the TM.

We did take some time off in late July & early August when traveling, 2 weeks at the end of November & beginning of December, and 2 more weeks off for Christmas & New Year's.

I got my AofA from CBD, so I don't know if it got more expensive from CAP. (Perhaps it looks expensive because they include the DVDs in their "kit.") We did it in a semester - meeting once per week for 1 1/2 hrs and sending home work to do for the next week. My dd had about an hour to two hours (depending on the week) of work to do outside of class each week. It worked really well in a "co-op" type schedule if you can find a couple other kids to do it with you. Didn't add too much to my workload and DD really enjoyed it. (We live in the boonies, so we don't have any sort of co-op possibilities nearby. So, this was very informal.) I think it would be very dry to do alone, so make sure you interact & discuss a lot.

I looked at the schedules on the AofA website & then tweaked from there. You can stretch it out to a full year, do it in two trimesters, or fit it into a semester. We didn't use the DVD.