Menu

Amazon prime

Stuart

I read recently that homeschool families were elgible for the student discount price. I sent a email to amazon and received this reply. The discount is currently available to students with an .edu email address. Has anyone had any luck otherwise? Maybe if more homeschoolers make a request they will adjust the policy. In the past I have always found amazon accommodating.

Hello,

I understand you'd like to know if homeschoolers are eligible for the student discount.

I've checked with my resources and see that currently, we're unable to provide Amazon student discount to homeschoolers. I've forwarded your interest to avail the student discount the appropriate people in our company so that they'll consider your feedback as we plan further improvements.

Yes, I emailed them about this some time ago (just curious), and the response I got was that they would pass it on, but at this time it was only for those enrolled in college.  Can you imagine the flood if they offered it to both homeschoolers and K-12 teachers?  I can't see that happening.

And I do have a .edu address because I'm a professor, but I'm not a student, so I don't qualify.  

I've heard informally that they do spot checks electronically to verify that a student is truly enrolled.  And when you sign up it is free for six months, and then half price.  And it expires after four years.  There may be a few other details involved (obviously I haven't done it), but it isn't a completely free ride by any means. 

That said, the college students I know love it.  It makes buying their books and personal things easier, and they enjoy access to streaming shows/movies.

:bigear: Does this mean my college dd could get it and would it be free to her?

When I was in college in 2010, I got Prime for half price because I was a student. They let you renew it at that price for 4 years. I'm on my last round I guess, and it's attached to my gmail address, not my college email address. All I remember from applying was having to list what college I attended. They may have changed it.

Thank you! 

When I was in college in 2010, I got Prime for half price because I was a student. They let you renew it at that price for 4 years. I'm on my last round I guess, and it's attached to my gmail address, not my college email address. All I remember from applying was having to list what college I attended. They may have changed it.