Menu

Exercise Thread ~ 12/29 - 1/4

Negin

Kettlebell today. Warm up followed by 4rounds of 1 armed swings, halos, and squats @26lbs, then 3 rounds of deadlifts, clean and presses, lunges, and snatches also at 26lbs (except deadlifts). Then 3 rounds of half get up and push ups. It was a tough work out. My heart rate stayed up and i was soaked with sweat.

I would love to do yoga tomorrow but my sister is coming to visit. Maybe I'll get a short practice in.

I lost over the holidays (7 pounds) but how or why eludes me because my food intake has certainly veered more to holiday indulgences like pie and cake and red meat than anything I normally eat. I think high activity has been great for my metabolism. Don't shoot me. New Year's Day was a rest day and yesterday, family walk and yoga.

Today is just stretching plus lots of crunches and push-ups. I've done the stretching and crunch sets (warmup, bicycles and side to side) but only 2 sets of pushups so far. I am also taking the kids on a walk later.

Planning to kick it up again this weekend with some hiking and running.

Completely sedentary week except for some snow shoveling. Back to the gym for me this morning and plans to start hitting it hard. My body needed the rest. I think it's had enough. :-). Spin class this morning, spin and barefoot class tomorrow, then back to regular schedule!

I can't even blame holidays for my rest week. Just work, work, work and kids, kids, kids.

Bikram yoga class today. I had to modify some of the postures and my knee is currently sore, but I am very happy to be working through the injury without being sidelined.

This is what I call motivation! And a shout out to all the rest of you who are battling various weather conditions/inertia/injury/life details but still manage to keep up your exercise routines :D

I'm so new to this but would like to get to a place where a class or hike or whatever becomes second nature.

Rieshy/Susan, I completely agree about sparring being SO MUCH FUN and a fantastic workout. We did tae kwon do as a family for several years, even traveled and competed in tournaments, but quit because the sparring culture was so physical and violent in our organization where we now live. I was tired of coming home with bloody hands and arms from blocking full force punches and kicks.

I have to admit that reading about how much fun you are having makes me want to find a new group to train with!

Family yoga DVD today plus my own stretching and pushups.  Man, I wish I were as flexible as my 10 year old!  

I am doing pushups most every day because I live in fear of starting back to bootcamp after the winter break (I have one more week off) and not being able to do the pushups, lol.  

Tomorrow I have a volunteer training all day and I am going to bike part of the way (bus through the worst traffic area).  Round trip, that should give me about 15 miles.  I'd like to pretend this was a virtuous plan to bike but the reality is that there is something wonky with our electrical system in the car and I don't want to drive there and then be stranded at night when the event gets out. 

Rieshy/Susan, I completely agree about sparring being SO MUCH FUN and a fantastic workout. We did tae kwon do as a family for several years, even traveled and competed in tournaments, but quit because the sparring culture was so physical and violent in our organization where we now live. I was tired of coming home with bloody hands and arms from blocking full force punches and kicks.

I have to admit that reading about how much fun you are having makes me want to find a new group to train with!

I hope you will.  We do MMA- our sensie (what's the plural?) teach that if you come home every time black and blue then something is wrong with the studio.  If you do decide to find a new place don't be afraid to try MMA places.  MMA studios are not all UFC style fighting:)- in fact two of our instructors originally came from taekwondo studios.

I did Negin's Ellen Barrett Workout this morning.  I'm sitting taller now.