Menu

Favorite Latin/Greek roots vocabulary? Any to avoid?

mindygz

I wish someone had answered this. We plan to use Vocabulary From Classical Roots because it can be done independently, and seems to cover the most ground, but we haven't started yet because my son is, well, 3. After going to the bookstore and fingering through them all, both my husband and I agreed that it was the best.

English from the Roots Up flashcards with notebooking, and Caesar's English by Michael Clay Thompson (original version, not the newest version that adds lots of extraneous Roman history) were hits here. 

For us, Vocab from Classical Roots was a bust - poorly organized, no retention.  If I *had* to use it, I'd pull out the word lists, which I think are fine, and make my own lessons and exercises.  There are better products out there (see above) so we never went back to it.

English From the Roots up is hands down a great, easy to use program. Flash cards can be made or purchased. Color coding is to recognize Latin and Greek root words. I love this! We just have book 1 so far. We also use Big Book of Lively Latin and Prima Latina.

Could you provide more details on how you use these programs?

I wish someone had answered this. We plan to use Vocabulary From Classical Roots because it can be done independently, and seems to cover the most ground, but we haven't started yet because my son is, well, 3. After going to the bookstore and fingering through them all, both my husband and I agreed that it was the best.

I just looked at this and added it to my cart.  Looks like something that would work here, both for my 5th and 8th grader.

I've used VfCR.  It is quite good, but can be less effective is you just go through the motions (completing all workbook pages & test, without some way to continually review and use the roots).  I would definitely recommend you beginning on a roots program now and you can easily work the information you learn into your's son's daily life.  I've found myself sharing things with my littles that I learned while teaching my older kids.  It is done in a very casual, contextual fashion and therefore the learning is very natural and long-lasting.  A good example is her explaining to daddy after a recent bath that "her" lotion is called Aquaphor because it puts water back on her skin and aqua means water.  Obviously, aqua is a very common root, but I try to share the less obvious ones, too. Have fun with whatever you choose!