Menu

What is this thing called? (Japanese stationery item)

stripe

These thin plastic things, almost the size of a piece of paper, to put underneath your paper when writing so the pencil doesn't transfer or so you don't get an impression on the page. What the heck are these things called, in any language, and where can I find one? I have one from a Sanrio brand with a boy on it (I forget his name) and another one, not sure if it's Sanrio or what, with the Little Polar Bear on it (as in Hans de Beer). What are they called? Sorry, this is really random. If anyone knows, please help!

I found some on ebay too. Someone from Hawaii is selling some nice ones, including ones that are just plain colors. I no longer live near lots of nice Asian stationery stores. I wish I could buy one in person, but the awesome Chinese grocery store near me carries no stationery stuff. 

But you know these are almost the same thing as those flexible cutting boards. I see those everywhere, they're just giant. Hmm.