Menu

Recommendations for high quality Calcium and Vitamin D supplements

mathnerd

I have been taking Calcim suplements for over 10 years and Vitamin D for over 1 year due to a high deficiency. I usually grab the huge Costco bottles (Naturemade, Kirkland or whatever) and just keep taking them until it is time to buy another bottle. But, recently I have been feeling that I need to get a better quality supplement as the ones I am taking may not be that efffective - wondering if all supplements get absorbed by the body in the same way. 

So, if you guys take a Calcium supplement or Vitamin D supplement, could you please recommend a good quality one?

I don't buy vitamins at costco, except for d3 gel-tabs (must be this form).  they're cheap, but . . . . (their fish oil scares me.  when the label announces they've removed the mercury . . . .umm.)

if you don't absorb vitamin d3 very well, you can buy drops that are more absorbable.  my daughter has to use drops.  she doesn't absorb the gel-tabs.  at 10,000IU's daily her levels barely budged.   my understanding is the recommended minimum blood level of d3 has been upped to 50.  and to think I thought I was doing good to have it in the 40's.

look for a form of calcium that is most bioavailable. read what else is in it.  still looking for one that is in the doseage dudeling needs.

the brands I use (there are others that are quality. read lables and find out what FORMS of vitamins are used.  you want the most bioavailable.  if form isn't listed - save your money.)

NOW

Thorne

Kirkman

emerald laboratories

Nordic naturals

I buy everything off amazon, or super supplements (when I get a coupon.)

I use calcium citrate (Citrical), but also had in a magnesium supplement.

As for D, I've had major issues/deficiencies for year, so have to take 50,000 IU of D3 2x/week.  That keeps me around 45-50.   I order mine through Amazon, but do not take the dose I take unless a physician tells you to.  For most, it's way too high. :)

I don't have any recommendation for calcium.  For the Vitamin D, I recommend vitacost.com.  I buy the Vitamin D Drops that are 2000 iu/drop.  The vitamin is in olive oil.  I just drop a few drops on my tongue every few days.  I know the drops are doing the job, since my levels came up.  I hate taking pills and this is the perfect solution for me.  I've used other vitacost products and feel they are a really good company.