Menu

Need book suggestions for my daughter....age 13

ProudGrandma

I have some books for my sons for Christmas, but have totally put off getting my daughter any...and I could use some suggestions:

she likes stories about real people who have over come hardships, or even fiction that the characters have risen above.  She also likes things like The Wizard of Oz series as well as the Peter Pan series.  (I prefer no romantac themes.) So, please if you have ideas that I can quickly order on Amazon, I would greatly appreciate it.

How about something by Polly Horvath - My One Hundred Adventures is good.  No romance.  Not exactly a rise above sort of story, but definitely a real person figuring out life story.

Or something by Wendy Mass - A Mango Shaped Space is excellent, though all her books are really good and 13 yo girls are her target demographic.  There is a very mild romantic interest in that one, but it's not the focus of the book, which is much more about the main character's friendships and her figuring out how to manage an unusual condition she has.

Or how about a fantasy by Shannon Hale - the Books of Bayern are sort of fairy tale retellings - The Goose Girl is definitely a rise above sort of story.  There is a romance, but totally 13 yo appropriate.

Or maybe Savvy by Ingrid Law - a contemporary fantasy story, no romance.

I can suggest more YA type stuff, but they're even more likely to have romance.

Any of the four Melendy quartet books by Elizabeth Enright!  My kids LOVED these, and they're great for 13 years old, boy and girl.  The first is called "The Saturdays" and is a great starting book, but all four are good (the last was my least favorite, but not for any real reason.  Maybe I was just sad to see them come to an end).