Menu

Make ahead lasagna?

skimomma

We are having guests at our place for the holidays and that means lots of good food.  And lots of cooking.....  I would like to free up some of my own time by preparing as much as I can in advance.  Lasagna is on the menu....two types, both vegetarian.  Can I make this ahead and freeze it until we need it?  If so, how best to do it?  Do you bake it then freeze or freeze before baking?  And does that change the way it should be baked when we are ready to eat it?  I will be using whole wheat no-boil noodles, if that matters....

I've done it the other way around -- bake then freeze, and I always boil the noodles.  Moisture is an enemy in the freezer, however, so to avoid ice crystals, you really have to make the container as airtight as possible, maybe plastic wrap AND foil.

Edit -- small protions go right from freezer to micro, but for a full pan, yes, I think you'd need to defrost a bit, but prob not completely, before oven.

I cook but undercook my noodles, just cook until they aren't crunchy. Lasagnas freeze very well unless they have big slices of zucchini or something soft like that. Stick with smaller or firmer veggies that freeze well.

Thaw in the refrigerator (or garage if you are in a cool climate) for about 24 hours, then bake.

You can bake before or after freezing, but if I know I am freezing, I undercook the noodles, assemble, and then freeze. Then thaw overnight, then bake as normal. Since they are cold, they will take a longer baking time, so I generally cover with foil for the first 40-60 min to avoid drying it out with the long bake time, then uncover for the last 20 min to brown the top layer of cheese a bit.

you can make lasange ahead - works better if you don't add hardboiled eggs.

pastichio is also really good, and can be made ahead.  sort of a greek lasange.  I use regular macaroni (even though you're not supposed to  . . . )  I love greek food way more than italian.

I have frozen lasagna on occasion.  I use boil noodles, but don't boil them.  Just assemble and use lots of sauce.  Freeze.  I would thaw overnight in the fridge, or even 48 hours ahead of time.  Cooking from frozen takes a very long time. 

If you have some turkey left from thanksgiving I often make Chicken/turkey tettrazini.  Serve with cranberry sauce, bread, salad, veggie, relish tray, whatever is easy.  Freezes very well.