Menu

Best keyboard for DD - updated

OneStepAtATime

We have been saving money to buy DD a new keyboard for her piano lessons.  She does not want a piano.  She wants a keyboard.  She has been using an old Casio we bought at a garage sale back in the '90's for $4 (really got our money's worth) before she was even born, but we would like to get her a new one now.  Any brand or style recommendations?  We have about $650 to spend since Grandma and others are pitching in...

Update below a few posts...still trying to work out how to do updated posts....sorry

Your piano teacher should be a good resource - they might even be willing to help you scour Craigslist.   And way to go on the $4 Casio!

Actually, she is taking piano lessons on-line through Simply Music right now or I would definitely consult with a piano teacher.  Thanks for the suggestion, though.  Really appreciate the response.

And yes we really, really lucked out on the Casio.  The owners believed it wasn't working and were just trying to get rid of it.  We found that the batteries were in backwards.  :)  I am saddened that it is dying.  We've really grown pretty attached after all these years!  

Guest submarines

There are many reviews and demos on youtube. Check them out. 

Does she want a digital piano (88 weighted keys) or a keyboard with a bunch of preprogrammed sounds, rhythms, and so on?

Can you go to an actual store and let your DD try different ones out? When you have the basic parameters established (how many keys, weighted keys etc), she should really just see which one sounds better to her, and which keys feel more authentic.

We recently got this one, on sale: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/casio-cdp-120-digital-piano

It is okay. It is great for the money that we paid. The keys feel really nice, and the sound is decent. It is just perfect for our needs, and I expect it to be adequate for 3-4 years.

You have more money saved up, so I'd go up a model.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I didn't know about weighted keys...  I only ever played on a piano before we got the Casio years ago.  Looking into this right now.  I know it is getting really late for a Christmas gift.  We just didn't know how much money there would be and we hope this will be good for the whole family, not just my daughter, for years to come (although I don't know if the new one will last as long as our Casio has...what a trouper!).  Don't want to make a snap decision and regret it with that much money involved.  

You all are awesome.  Thanks for the support!

UPDATED - O.k., we went sort of  looking on Thursday hoping to find something locally since Christmas is so close now.  Nothing we liked that was affordable.  Then on Friday we decided to just go digging around town again with a lot more determination and armed with the info that everyone provided here and some additional info we discovered from the links above.  We lucked out!!!!  Got a Yamaha keyboard with 88 keys, weighted, and a nice stand, all on clearance (discounted $500).  We also got a demo acoustic guitar, also on clearance, to replace the guitar that no longer stays in tune more than 30 seconds (warped, among other issues).  My son is learning to play and it gets so frustrating that we have to keep re-tuning.  I actually talked them into selling the demo guitar at a much steeper discount then they had marked it, then they discounted the guitar case a bit so we could buy both.  The foam in my old case disintegrated years ago.  

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.  So excited about Christmas.  We decided NOT to go ahead and take the kids with us to look the second time.  They had gone with us before, on Thursday, so we had some idea of what our daughter prefers, but we decided to make it a surprise if we found anything on Friday.  They think because of our failed attempt on Thursday that we never found anything.  Everything will be set up by the tree for Christmas morning....

My dd has both an upright piano and a keyboard with weighted keys. She much prefers the keyboard, even though she plays on a baby grand at church. Her keyboard is a Yamaha. I don't know what model, but I know her father didn't pay more than your budget for it. If you can have her try some models out at a store, you may be able to find one online for a better price. You just need to know model numbers so you can get exactly what she wants. 

My dd has both an upright piano and a keyboard with weighted keys. She much prefers the keyboard, even though she plays on a baby grand at church. Her keyboard is a Yamaha. I don't know what model, but I know her father didn't pay more than your budget for it. If you can have her try some models out at a store, you may be able to find one online for a better price. You just need to know model numbers so you can get exactly what she wants. 

Thanks, OnTheBrink.  Actually found something that works great locally (update in blue above).  Appreciate the suggestions, though.  

So your daughter prefers the keyboard, too...any particular reasons?  Just curious...

Merry Christmas...