Menu

How to identify twaddle?

Well, no. I don't enjoy bad writing. It bores and annoys me.

[edited]

I think people get too worked up over making sure every book has page after page of lofty prose and SAT words.  There's so much more to a good book than just nice sentence structure, though.  I've read books in which the writing itself wasn't award-caliber, but the story was amazing and filled with imaginative ideas.  Or the characters drew me in from page one.  Perhaps it's something you notice more when you spend your time both reading and writing, but it's rare that I find a book with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Ours hasn't... though Diary of A Wimpy Kid was more popular here.

I collect good books -- our house is quite literally filled with them. The kids e-readers are filled with them. We read them out loud; the kids read them for pleasure. But we also have (or have had) Pokémon and Link manga, Baby Mouse, The Creature From My Closet, etc. I prefer to get these from the library as they have to go back.

There was a time I'd vehemently sworn we would never have books from cross licenced properties in the house, *ever*. That lasted until Pokémon, though that's the one line I still usually redraw. Let's just say I'm willing to make exceptions. :)

My kids have also found it socially helpful to be able to identify the odd character (from books or elsewhere) from popular culture, not just obscure literary works for precocious children such as I normally direct them to. My son sat down with his (younger) neighbor friend when the other boy was just starting to read and encouraged his tackling of a Lego reader; my son's encouragement of reading is something which the boy's parents have specifically expressed appreciation as he had been a very reluctant reader.

And I did have my daughter give me the book she received as a prize for the library's summer reading program (she picked it out) because she did not feel it was appropriate. I think it was for content, rather than language, though. I honestly found it beyond hilarious.

I'm still not sure how to answer the OP besides suggesting research and talking to the librarian, which I don't think I'd what she's asking for. When my kids pick books from the library, it's because the books look interesting to then (whereas I am picking up books for them and myself from the hold shelf). Sometimes they are disappointed, and sometimes they find a gem I wouldn't have "noticed" like Zombie Baseball Beatdown. I kid you not, that's a good book. :D

ETA: http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Baseball-Beatdown-Paolo-Bacigalupi/dp/0316220787

Disappointment can be instructive. Kids can't recognize formula and tropes unless they are at least exposed to them. FWIW Geronimo Stilton is great for a first exposure to tropes from various genres, which are also cultural touch points.

I have also been fascinated by how much difference the edition makes.

I think Jane Nissen realized this too.

*blush* I think we have all her reprints.

*blush* I think we have all her reprints.

I have no idea who Mrs Molesworth was, but I read The Cuckoo Clock, and I found The Carved Lion (?) at a book sale. Is that twaddle? ;)

I like the reprints by New York Review of Books too -- I scored the entire "Carbonel" series, basically untouched, at my local library's book sale, but our current read-aloud is Mistress Masham's Repose -- I have an old edition, though, that I bought cheaply used. I like those red spines and nice hardback quality.

I have also been fascinated by how much difference the edition makes.

I think Jane Nissen realized this too.

My eldest reads a book's back and the inside flap before sampling, but my eldest is far more impulsive and will read a bit and discard, read and discard, until she finds what she wants. But there still has to be something to get them to pick up the book initially, a familiar author, an intriguing title or cover, a prominent recommendation or an "if you liked..."

This year I've identified it post-hoc. 

When the preschooler starts calling people "dumb zombie nerds" this is a sure sign A. is reading twaddle. 

I can't recommend this strategy  ...  I pulled the offending books and am being more proactive in filtering the choices. 

ETA: okay, my twaddle tipoff SHOULD have been the "Captain Underpants" in the title.  But my Valerie & Walter and the local children's librarian rec'd it highly, and the indie bookstore stocks it.  Total sucker and Slacker Mama am I. :blushing:

This year I've identified it post-hoc. 

When the preschooler starts calling people "dumb zombie nerds" this is a sure sign A. is reading twaddle. 

I can't recommend this strategy  ...  I pulled the offending books and am being more proactive in filtering the choices. 

ETA: okay, my twaddle tipoff SHOULD have been the "Captain Underpants" in the title.  But my Valerie & Walter and the local children's librarian rec'd it highly, and the indie bookstore stocks it.  Total sucker and Slacker Mama am I. :blushing:

Oh my gosh- did i need this laugh today!! TOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!!