Menu

sonlight or something else? K/1st level.

xixstar

We're into our K year and doing a nice slow, gentle start and I like it. We change phonics from OPGTR to AAR and sooooo happy I made that switch, it is just so much better for both of us. We're happy enough with our math program, flying through SM Essentials and enjoying MMM Mathematics Made Meaningful that I picked up at a thrift store. I've not used any of the miquon books I originally purchased up because I like the cards in MMM (they tell me what to do versus the more open ended miquon).

I'm learning that scripted and laid out programs appear to be working better for me. I may have the opportunity to invest in additional curriculum and Sonlight came to mind. I never considered it before because of cost (and secular preference) but now I'm starting to wonder.

When I'm organized, we have neat unit studies, ala FIAR style, with cool projects. My kids love that but I'm also now a full-time grad student and I'm finding less time for all the fun planning and it falls off the to-do list. So some of our reading is ending up on the back burner because I don't have a plan with everything ready to go.

Would Sonlight help with that? Would something else be even better? When I think Sonlight, I think books to read and a schedule.

I am happy to do the read alouds and projects, I just need them all laid out for me. I tolerate the crafty projects if they're simple enough and my kids love them. I just don't want to be scanning pinterest for some supplemental projects for each book we pick out and also don't want to be stuck with 'color this page' as the only enrichment.

Honestly, things are okay with where we are at, but since this opportunity to enrich our schooling materials has come up - I'm thinking of what we might add. We will also be considering outside enrichment like gymnastics or maybe a museum membership (but that is still an hour drive there and paid parking isn't cheap either).

Also, I may be a bit inclined to order up a core on Sonlight for the reality that we may not completely get to it until next year (like I said, things are going well) and I'm not confident that the same opportunity will be there next year to purchase it, so knowing my preferences now, maybe it's worth still pursuing.

Thanks.

The one good thing about Sonlight is that you will have all the books you need. If you are wanting it secular you will have to drop some, but that isn't too hard to do. Truthfully if I were in your situation I would probably go with SOTW when your dc is ready and get the Activity guide so that you can pick and chose the books you want to read to your kids. I do a mix of SL and SOTW. We are using SOTW instead of SL C spine but add in the SL books since most of them are scheduled in the activity guide from SOTW. There are also a lot more picture books that are suggested where Sonlight has more chapter books without pictures. Also, Sonlight doesn't really give you many crafts, it is mostly a reading schedule where the AG for SOTW gives you multiple activities each chapter plus mapwork to do. My favorite is they have it on CD so if you get tired of reading they can do it for you :)

I do really like Sonlight for science though. I love how they have fun science experiments and a DVD of them also so you can watch and do also.

We used FIAR at that age, but like you I prefer things planned for me vs doing it myself. We went from FIAR to Winter Promise & now we do a mix of WP & SL depending on what each core offers as they have similiar cores.

Yes, SL Would help having things laid out, but they don't have lots of hands on projects. We still love using the Cores, but it's why we choose to add in WP because they offer a more hands on approach. That's us though, many people just add in hands on stuff to SL & roll with it. I'm just over the whole planning it out in leaps & bounds kinda thing. ;)

Cost is not a factor here and every few months I get enamored with Sonlight. I never quite hit the purchase button, though, because when I start digging deep I always come the conclusion that Sonlight is more quantity than quality. Sure, many of the book choices are fabulous, but some are not... and there are so many of them.... I would feel like I was trying to cram them all in if I use the schedule. And then I read reviews and realize I would be tweaking the schedule, perhaps going verticle, and then I think "why spend $500+ per child to buy something I need to change.... so its always a no go in the end.

I agree with the pp who said go with SOTW. Sonlight schedules are so choppy to me--I don't want to read 4 books at once, just little bits of each. I want one or two at a time, like one for history and one for science (I mean supplemental reading--historical fiction, biography, etc.). 

The SOTW AG will give you what to do for each chapter. You can pick and choose, and you don't have to do everything (they don't assume you will). Plus, you can combine some skills, which is an efficient way of learning. For example, you can have your child tell you 2 things they remember from the chapter, write it down for them to copy, and thereby cover composition (on a 1st/2nd grade level) and handwriting AND history. Add in some hands-on fun and you've got something wholistic that will hang together in the mind and reinforce content. 

We tried Sonlight for 4th grade. The books were ok, but we missed the hands on aspect, so we went back to SOTW. 

Thanks. We were planning to start SOTW next year but could consider an earlier start.

I had never looked at WP and a search on older posts and I remember where I had seen the name and why I had never looked further, lots of negativity. However it does sound like it might be more in line with what Iak looking for.

Will check out the other resources mentioned and also the long thread on LltL had cqughtmy attention recently too.

Okay - looked deeper and deeper and getting more and more confused.

Moving Beyond the Page ($165-$464) - sounded pretty good. I liked things being tied together and it has a bit of a unit study feel to it. For our current level, this seems like a good thing. But then read some negatives about it that also were hinting at me - the 5-7 level seems a bit simplistic for where we are at - lots of stuff we've already done. But it seemed like it could be a good fit. Option to just get the guides and access all book from library or go whole hog on the books and all.

Winter Promise ($138-269) - was really loving this one but lots of negativity pulling at me as well. The Animals unit seems the most interesting but also seems like a lot to get if it's a flop to with all the items specific to them. I'm debating the digital resources - I have a tablet we can use and I do love having less paper items around, but I think little ones also need to touch paper books. But we could add stuff from the library as well. It seems very pretty and keeps calling to me, but I'm also a little confused on what I would be buying and what I would be getting too - and re-reading the website doesn't seem to answer my questions well.

Build Your Library ($29) - Sonlight - lite. Seems to offer a nice variety reading list and activities - some seem a little too dry or simple in the sample but sometimes that is what would get done around here too. I don't mind reading more than 1 thing at a time, something I've seen said against Sonlight, as long as it is not too overhwelming. I would also need to buy books or get them from the library. I like that it includes animals and people in the first year.

Sonlight ($348-$469) - It's just all there in one big box to start. Seems like it can be a little jumpy around and like the religious stuff might annoy me a little bit (wondering about Winters Promise too). And in looking at Build Your Library, maybe worth it to go with the cheaper program, even if I bought all new books for this year.

Think that was all the programs I was looking at. WP is pulling me a little with the Animals program and I think my girls would both love it. But even with having funds available to spend, still nervous to spend so much when I'm not sold that I would love it. Which is funny, because I think that I would be happy with Sonlight if I bought, but maybe too many 'box day' videos have me overly swayed (yes, marketing hype works well on my brain).

eta - I had wanted to wait on SOTW until 1st because I think my littlest would be in a much better position to join us then. Right now, she still isn't at a point where she would listen as long or be able to join projects as well and I think even just 6 months in development would make huge leaps to making SOTW a more interesting experience for her along with her bigger sister -- right most of our 'school day' feels very exclusionary to her so I don't want to add another item that feels like it doesn't pull her in as well. I also think my older one needs to get a bit more into some of our longer read alouds again too -- I have a tendency to start some and then get sidtracked as we don't finish them in a reasonable period of time and fall out of the habit of listening to longer (picture less) stories. Shorter picture books get read more often, so wanting to train (myself) them a bit more in listening before jumping into that one.

I personally wouldn't go with SL in K.  When my oldest dd was 3/4 I knew I would HS and I "knew" that SL was the ultimate, most amazing thing ever.  Then I ordered it for K and didn't really love it like I thought I would.  It has a great amount of wonderful books, I will give them that.  I can't think of many reasons beyond that to use it though?  If I could do it all over again with my oldest three, I would focus on reading, writing, early math, and add read alouds each day.  Everything else would be fun stuff......museums, parks, painting, story time at the library, taking walks, etc.  You can learn the history in 2nd, 3rd, 4th plus grades.  Having a child in high school that was homeschooled all the way through and now starting over with a 4 year old, I will school him in a totally different way for K/1st and maybe even 2nd.  You cannot remake the little, fun years.  I regret pushing academics, curriculum, and lesson plans so early.  Just my opinion.  Sorry if it isn't much help.