Menu

literary picture books

I assume you mean books with more story to them?  Klassen and Willems are the darlings now, but their stuff is very much geared to younger kids.  The FIAR lists are a good place to start.  Some other authors...

Look for authors like...

Patricia Polacco

Jon Muth

William Steig

Barbara Cooney

Eve Bunting

Vera Williams

Chris Van Allsburg

Allen Say

Robert McCloskey

Our read-aloud problem now is stretching the gap between my oldest and youngest listener (ages 3 and 7). We've read the classics to pieces, and we rotate through them every few months or so, but I'm hopeful for a list of new-to-us story picture books. Although as I think about it, maybe we should just stick with Potter and Milne and the like. The kids really like to check out new books from the library, and having a list of good books in my back pocket might save me from Pinkalicious. 

This is a great question! I have a precocious reader who reads at a high level and he is just not mature enough for a lot fo chapter books, so we love great illustrated stories. It is easier to list authors as many of them write more than a few great books.

Barbara McClintock. My son loves her version of A Little Princess.

Robert McClosky. My son's favourite is One Morning in Maine.

Virginia Burton Lee. My favourite is A Little House. My son loves all the other ones.

Beatrix Potter. I can not say how many times we have read Jemima Puddle Duck

Paul Galdone also covers a lot do traditional folk tales.