Menu

"Healthy" birthday treat?

Amira

I can take a healthy treat to school tomorrow for my son's birthday tomorrow. Cake isn't allowed, but the only suggestions I've gotten from the teacher are jello and bags of candy for the children. I'm not exactly sure why those are considered healthy when cake is banned, but there it is. I'd prefer to not do either of those.

I'm having trouble thinking of something healthy I can take instead (keep in mind that I'm in Mexico, so your typical snacks probably aren't available here). If I could, I'd take a frosting-less cake made with yogurt and whole wheat flour and topped with raspberries with just a little sugar since ds loves it.

I'm happy to cook or bake something and I can email his teacher to make sure it's allowed. I'm not really familiar enough yet with the snacks available here to buy something. It would be fun to take something we could put candles in. Any ideas?

I'm sorry if this is totally ignorant, but do you have watermelon or something similar? We served my ds a watermelon "cake" for his birthday. You can google it. It's pretty common. It's just about cutting the top, bottom, and sides off of a melon. You can then decorate it with other fruits or put candles in it if you like.

The muffin idea would be great, but I have no muffin tin right now, unfortunately. Ds would love to create little people if we had more time to put it together.

Fruit kabobs sound perfect since I have the sticks and there are lots of fruit stands around selling lots of different types of chopped fruit. I'll have to decide whether to serve them Guadalajara-style with chile, salt, and lime on them though. :)

I'm sorry if this is totally ignorant, but do you have watermelon or something similar? We served my ds a watermelon "cake" for his birthday. You can google it. It's pretty common. It's just about cutting the top, bottom, and sides off of a melon. You can then decorate it with other fruits or put candles in it if you like.

Oh, I just saw this. I think this is a great idea too. We can get yellow watermelon in addition to red, so maybe we could make something that looks fun.