Menu

Need some recipes for teaching cooking at Coop?

Anyone have some ideas on what I should have the kids cook. Here are some parameters, the class is only 50 minutes long, the kids are around 8-11 years old.

I thought about doing smoothies, apple turnovers, pigs in a blanket. Anyone might have some suggestions and recipes for me.

Thanks in advance,

Madonna

My kids cooked out of (and each took home a copy of) the Children's Cookbook that's in the middle of Sue Gregg's Lunches and snacks book. There's also nutrition information in there. I'll have to check later to see what they made out of there; it's been a couple years, and I didn't teach the class.

Pancakes might work. The batter whips up fast and they cook in no time so it will give them time to eat. They can also customize their pancake by dropping different items on top of the uncooked side before it's flipped: (chocolate chips, blueberries, banana slices, strawberries etc.)

Also, waffles in a waffle iron but depending on the # of kids, you may need quite a few going.

Any kind of cookie would be good because most bake in 10-12 minutes and you can have several baking sheets in the oven.

I taught a similiar class, but for younger kids. Pizza was a big hit. Also muffins, scones, cookies. One day was granola and yogurt parfait day. It is hard with that limited amount of time. With your age kids, what about sushi or spring rolls? Maybe some kind of Mexican thing--tacos, burritos, tamales! OOh yum, how about dumplings? Any baked thing you will have not only to wait during the baking time, but also have empty time. So when we baked, I tried to pair it with a non baked item. ie: muffins and fruit skewers. Soup and salad.(Okay, nothing baked there, but soup does take time.) The kids loved the soup-as i recall it was just a vegetable soup.

HTH