Menu

Recommend great "root words" curriculum?

Alicia64

I'm finding I just can't teach Latin. We're 3/4 of the way through Song School Latin 2 and I'm starting to realize that I could do it/teach it if I devoted myself wholeheartedly. But  I don't have time in my day to entirely learn this language and then teach it to my boys.

I'm thinking the next best plan is learning root words. I do love that part of Latin -- how so much of our English comes from Latin.

Any suggestions?

Alley

I hear you. A full Latin program has never been high on my priority list. Good ones can also be expensive and I rather budget for more practical things. I may cover some basic Latin later in middle school. I'm not 100% positive I want to homeschool high school and they offer Latin at our local school. My husband remembers some, but he's unwilling to attempt to learn more and teach it. 

Vocabulary however is important! I like English From the Roots Up with the cards and Vocabulary From Classical Roots. 

We've used Rummy Roots, English from the Roots Up, and Critical Thinking Co.'s Latin and Greek Root workbooks. They're all ok.  My oldest says it was helpful to do them in homeschool  because now that she's in college she can figure out new terms easily between knowing the roots and reading the context.