Menu

What does this CC math class cover? Would someone look?

My sophomore dd is signed up for the spring semester for the highest remedial math class. She is one point away from testing into college level math courses, but we decided to give her a semester of remedial math just to help build her confidence since she has been homeschooled all the way through and has never even been in a classroom. I am surprised she tested as high as she did because she literally JUST finished Saxon Algebra 1 two days before she took the Accuplacer test. (Personally, I am leaning towards her being a good guesser!LOL! Math is not her strong suit by any means)

I am curious as to what the course description would translate to if we were doing math at home. Is it Algebra 1 review or will she be getting new info such as Alg 2?

(She gets her terrible math skills from me, so that's why I need to ask! LOL!) The next course she would take would be "Contemporary Math" or "Statistics". She is planning on going into nursing in the future.

Here's the course description:

Course Description:           

This course provides students with a foundation necessary for study in a college level math course. It includes the study of polynomial factoring, quadratic equations, rational expressions, rational equations and applications, radical expressions, radical equations and applications. The use of technology is integrated throughout the course. May not be used for graduation credit. Course includes 28 lecture hours. This course requires outside class time for testing in the Test and Assessment Center. Prerequisite: qualifying score on the math assessment or MATH 022.

It looks like a mix between algebra 1 and algebra 2, depending on what topics would have been covered in algebra 1.

The prerequisite for the prerequisite for your course is pre-algebra, so the prerequ course Math 22 should be algebra 1.

Then again, a strong algebra 1 course might have covered the material of the course your DD is taking.

Many times the remedial math track in CC is something like this: Each class corresponds--roughly--to the following grade levels.

PreAlgebra (6th -8th)

Elementary Algebra or Introductory Algebra (9th grade) --

Intermediate Algebra (10th grade) -- This isn't strictly remedial math but STEM kids get no credit for taking it*. After this class, you can take any intro-college math

College Algebra or PreCalculus (11th grade)

To me, it sounds like your daughter is in Intermediate Algebra which covers material commonly seen during the 10th grade during Algebra II and after this class she could take a college level class in Liberal Arts Math, Statistics, or College Algebra/PreCalculus.

What text book is the class using?

*STEM kids usually get no credit for anything below the Calculus sequence, or at least in my experience.

My son is taking this Udacity course, which was designed to prep kids for the community college entrance test.  I bet its similar.  I also thought it was a combination of algebra 1 and 2, supposedly leaving them ready for pre-calc (aside from lack of geometry?)  My son really needed the review - we started homeschooling in 8th grade and spent the entire year figuring out he wasnt ready for algebra.  sigh.  

After some googling, it doesn't look like they use a text, just mymathlab.

It also looks like (judging by what you said about her placement test score) she could have either placed into that or the last course before college algebra.

I would expect this to be a review of high school algebra, mixed topics from 1 and 2, with emphasis on applications using a calculator rather than algebraic skills.