Menu

Gluten free Christmas cookies?

Spryte

Anyone have a great gluten free Christmas cookie recipe?  I'd really like to do some sugar cookies, but haven't found a recipe that rolls well.  Gingerbread would be a bonus, too!  

We like to use King Arthur flours and mixes, due to other allergies (cross contamination concerns), and we are dairy free, but can substitute as needed for recipes.

I lost the source for this, but these are great - i cant do tapioca so I cant do them any more Sugar cookies

1 ½ c. sugar                               1 ½ c. potato starch flour

1 c. butter flavor Crisco             2/3 c. corn starch
4 egg yolks                                2/3 c. tapioca starch
1 tsp. Vanilla                              2 tsp. Baking powder
2 ½ tsp. Xanthan gum                 1 tsp. Salt

Blend sugar and Crisco. Add egg yolks and vanilla. Mix flours, baking powder and salt and add to first mixture. Will be crumbly. Form balls, press down in to discs. Dust top with potato starch and roll ¼†thick, cut shapes, place on greased cookie sheet, bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes.

last year I used a combination of my custom sweet baking mix and my custom biscuit mix and made chocolate chip pb brownies, lemon bars, spice cookies (which spread terribly but were still tasty) and mexican wedding cookies.  

I make cut out cookies using the Gluten Free Pantry's French Bread (and Pizza?) mix as a cup-for-cup substitute in my Betty Crocker sugar cookie recipe. They turn out well, but like all things gf, they don't last long before they get stale. We bake, decorate and eat as much as we want and then put the rest in the freezer.

We use a lot of recipes from www.glutenfreeonashoestring.com  She has gingerbread men, sugar cutouts, we are also making the Samoas, chocolate chip truffles, m&m cake mix cookies, and Andes candies cookies from there. 

We also make "oreo" truffles with the Ktoos gluten free oreo like cookies.  We crush 2 packages with 1 1/2 8oz cream cheese.  Make into balls and then dip in either white chocolate, almond bark, candy coating, or chocolate.  You can google oreo truffles to see what the gluten version comes out like. 

These made a quart size freezer bag, and a half a quart size freezer bag worth of truffles.  Not helpful if you're dairy free, but they are gluten free! 

I'd use a regular sugar cookie recipe but use gluten-free oat flour (if Bob's Red Mill GF Oat Flour is sufficiently GF) plus xanthan gum, about 1/3 tsp for each cup of oat flour.  Refrigerate and roll out in between sheets of saran wrap.  I did this the other day with my great-grandmother's Christmas cookie recipe - came out fine.  (eta, I forgot, I usually use more oat flour than the amount of regular flour that a regular recipe calls for - oat flour doesn't "absorb" as much or something as wheat flour - not sure what the technical term would be)

For icing, I just use powdered sugar and water - gluten free and dairy free naturally  :tongue_smilie:

I didn't make sugar cookies last year.

I made a chocolate butter cookie that I always make, I just subbed in GF flour. They were good, just a little lighter and flakier than usual.

We also made gingerbread cookies and they were excellent, I couldn't tell the difference from regular flour. I think the gingerbread was so good because the molasses made them moist and chewy.