Menu

Does anyone else need to wait until spring to hear from colleges?

Gwen in VA

As a music major, even though dd is applying EA to one school she will not hear until mid-February. Her other schools do not offer rolling admissions or EA, so we have to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

I hadn't thought that this would be a big deal, but as the list of seniors I know who haven't heard steadily shrinks, I am starting to think that dd is the only senior who hasn't been accepted somewhere!

Most of the schools to which my son is applying (as a dance or musical theatre major) have a two-step process. He's applying now and over the next month or so for academic admission, and several of those campuses have rolling admission. So, he may know within a few weeks if he's been accepted into any colleges generally.

If he does get accepted anywhere, he will then need to audition for the specific programs in which he's interested and wait again to hear whether he's gotten into those. Videos for prescreening have to uploaded for two schools at the beginning of January. Regular, in-person auditions start later that month and run through mid-March. So, he may not know for sure what his actual options are until late March.

At this point, I'm just focusing on the first phase.

Yes and no.  We hear around now what offers Calvin has.  But they are all conditional on his achieving particular scores in his exams.  So we won't actually know what university he will attend until he gets the results, on July 5th.

L

:svengo:  July? Ouch

I'm so not good at being patient. Thank goodness my oldest is super low key. He even gave me permission to open his PSAT scores if they come while he's swimming.

:svengo:  July? Ouch

Yes.  It's because we have no transcripts, so all offers are based on exams.  And the exams are based on the content of the whole of the last two years at school, so generally can't be taken early.

The alternative is to take a gap year and apply after you have your exam results.  In that case you would get firm (not conditional) offers in the autumn/spring of your gap year.

L