Menu

Is it true that high-powered binoculars are better than a telescope for kids?

And if so, which ones are best?

We are going with a science theme for the kids for Christmas this year, but I really can't find a telescope that is kid-friendly and gets good reviews.

So do any of you have any suggestions on a good telescope, or if that is not the best option, can you help me decide which binoculars would be best for viewing moon, stars, etc.?

Thanks so much:)

They're considered a good starter tool and an indispensable accessory for a lit off stargazers period, regardless of age. They can be transported a lot easier and focusing on one area of the night sky is much less finicky.

I did a lot of research on them a few years back when I was buying them as a gift. If you simply start with some Google searches like "binoculars for star gazing," or whatever and look for links of serious hobbyists you find excellent advice. The type of prism in the binoculars is important for instance.

I should point out that the binoculars that are really good for this are also big and heavy so if you're getting this for a child you may want a mount or tripod.

The maIn advantage of binoculars is that the field of view is wider, which prevents the disorientation that happens with a telescope. You won't be able to see more detail, but as an inexperienced sky watcher you will, in fact, see more because you will be able to find what you want to see.

• 1 month later...