Menu

S/o Christmas letter...What should you include

Excelsior! Academy

There will always be people who will find fault with *anything*, but I love to see included:

one or more family photographs

a reminder how old the kids are currently (I can never keep track)

new family members (obvious)

anything that paints a picture for me how their daily life looks like - not just special high lights

what they all are interested in, trips they took, what they do together as a family

if somebody moved or switched jobs

what the grownup kids are doing, if I knew them as children

if they have travel plans for the next year that could lead them near us

When my kids were little, I used to keep a log of the funny things they would say--malapropisms & misunderstandings of all kinds. I would share those things in the Christmas letter. It was very popular! I was always late and I would begin to hear from people inquiring when it would come out. The incidents were funny in and of themselves--it wasn't showing off my kids at all.

I like photos and ages and interests of the kids and of the adults. No need for awards won by kids, promotions of adults, etc. Save that for the grandparents.

I also think things that allude to money and privilege that others don't have tend to sound like bragging.

my sil does a fabulous Christmas letter.  (there have been people I've wanted to send a copy to as an example of how to write a Christmas letter.)  people she had no contact with the rest of the year were on her list.  she went to e-mail because the postage was so high. (long before that - she went to church bulletin covers instead of cards.)  we're talking hundreds of people. (I am NOT exaggerating). she sent out a "do you still want to be included on my Christmas card list?"  people she never ever hears from the rest of the year sent back "keep me on your list!" replies.

her letters are hysterical.  they have included stories such as reroofing their house with the kids helping (as slaves) and singing whatever song it was from the prince of Egypt.  then there was the story of the bat getting into their house and the very wild fiasco that was trying to get it out.  oh, and when their car was stolen and damaged, the settlement with the juvenile thieves included them having to send them $1.35 a month.  (seriously).  she summed it up as they'd never lack for small change.

do include what kids are doing, do include what you are doing,

make them light and humorous. 

things like deaths and serious illness diagnosis can still be mentioned, but they shouldn't be dwelt upon.  someone who needs to know the details on those things isn't someone you'd be sharing those things with in a Christmas letter, but in person or a phone call.

I think most letters tend to be extremely dry, or saccharine fake.

Dh writes one that people tell us they love receiving. ;) Basic formula is one page only. We include a current picture of the kids which has a story which is included in letter. Generally something historical that we have visited. A short paragraph about what each member of the family is doing. Then whatever else fits on the one page limit. Pretty short and reasonably high interest.