Menu

Lively Latin vs. GSWL

CrunchyGirl

So I finally feel like we're getting into a good place with LegoMan (I know, that's probably a bad sign!). He's almost ready to move to BA4/SM4, WWE is going great as is AAS3 (about half way through). He really likes FLL3. I don't remember who suggested trying it but thank you! We were both going to claw our eyes out with FLL1 and 2. We are on lesson 13 and he's retaining beautifully (he thinks diagramming is the coolest thing ever). He's constantly analyzing words and phrases he comes across for spelling rules and grammar. He reads for fun at a 4th grade level and we work on 6/7th grade books for school (reading aloud for practice).

I had planned Spanish for this year with Latin starting in a year or two but there's a delay in our Spanish plans and meanwhile I'm really wondering if he wouldn't like the challenge of Latin. I figure it it's too much we can drop it for a bit. I'm just feeling like we need something that IS actually a challenge--everything is pretty much no big deal for him and it's constantly a struggle to up the difficulty for each subject.

So given that he's functioning at a third grade level for core subjects, enjoys worksheets or clear lessons, isn't really into songs (or really anything that is silly or could be deemed babyish), I've been stalking the boards reading about LL and GSWL. LL looks like more "fun" or I guess more varied but it's costly. Any thoughts? I'm willing to pay for LL if we have a better chance of it being a positive addition to our school day. I'll comfort myself that I can use it with all the kids.

Needs to be secular and this stressed out mommy would appreciate something that's pretty open and go for someone who has never taken Latin herself ;)

I've used both.  GSWL is very straightforward, and I don't think I would have been able to teach Latin at all if my older son and hadn't used it first.  It introduces one word or concept per lesson and has continual review.  I don't think there are ever more than 10 exercises in a lesson.

I used the first volume of LL with my younger son when he was in 2nd and 3rd grade.  Once I omitted the history lessons, he *loved* it.  It is also very gentle and kid friendly, perhaps more kid friendly than GSWL because there are pictures on the worksheets.  I can't remember, but I believe that it goes deeper and further than GSWL.  We found that LL paired beautifully with MCT's Island level materials, BTW. 

Both programs are open and go.

If you have never taken Latin yourself, it might be worthwhile to go through GSWL yourself before starting on LL with your child.

We have both. For my son memorizing things without knowing why was tough, so GSWL was a better fit first. It gives incremental translation, step by step in short lessons. Once he got just over half way through he asked to go back to LL. I allowed this as we were only about half way through FLL 3. We are just a couple of weeks from finishing LL 1. I plan for him to finish GSWL before starting LL 2.

For me GSWL was amazing too. I need to know the why,  memorization without understanding just isn't my thing. I want to know now.

I'm using GSWL with my kindergartener. No real reason for starting this early, other than that it's fun and he likes it. It's very respectful of the student and lends itself well to cuddling up on the couch and doing everything orally. It's definitely open and go for me, but I have some background using Mars Hill and Wheelocks with my olders. I haven't studied Latin since they gave it up in 2006ish.

If you have a Kindle or don't mind using the Kindle app on your computer, the free sample is probably plenty big enough to see if your ds likes it or not.

We started with GSWL in 3rd grade, then started LL in 4th. I'm glad we went this route because GSWL is so incremental that it made Latin easy for ME to understand. My son liked it too. ;) GSWL is snuggle on the couch type, whereas LL has written work to do. My son loves LL also, but he couldn't have done the writing earlier than this year.

Also, my son's favorite part of LL is the history sections! :lol: I agree that you can ignore those lessons if your kid isn't a history buff though.

Oh, and we used the kindle version of GSWL, so nice and cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

Happened to see this.  I've never used LL, but I adore GSWL like little else.  It was absolutely the perfect introduction to Latin for both DD and me -- straightfoward, clear, incremental, plenty of review, short lessons, just a bit of humor (sentences that translated to things like "we are poets, but we never carry writing tablets").  DD transitioned easily to Latin's Not So Tough, Level 3, when we finished GSWL.