Menu

Language arts reccomendation

Coco_Clark

We've given WRTR a solid 12 week trial and it just isn't working for us. My son STILL doesn't quite have all the phonograms memorized in order to move onto the Ayers list, and I can already tell writing long lists of single words is going to be like pulling teeth. It's a quality program but its our least favorite part of the day and to beginning to "ruin" our school experience. I finished the program personally, and it greatly improved my understanding of spelling and Ill just have to accept that as enough.

He reads Bob books daily (nearly at dr Seuss/frog and toad level so we can start those soon) he narrates orally for me every day from our read alouds, he writes something every day (grocery list, letter to his cousin, Christmas card, labeling a drawing ect) either from copying off the white board or my oral sounding it out with him. Sometimes we pull a setence from our read aloud for him to copy. He is 6 so I'm going to call that good enough for the next little while. It IS good enough for a little while :)

But I have my doubts on whether reading, narration, and copywork is enough forever. Sometimes i think it is and others i doubt. I'd like a formal language arts program eventually, mostly for grammer. I'm starting to be drawn to First Language Lessons, but I haven't actually looked at it yet.

What is your fav. Language arts program? When did you start formal grammar/writing instruction? Have you found the narration/copywork model to be "enough" (moving on to dictation ect as practiced in CM)?

I don't do "language arts."

I like a variety of things for teaching English skills. Spalding for reading/spelling (sorry you aren't seeing the results you'd like, but it's not the end of the world, lol), Easy Grammar for children 9 or 10 and older, Writing Strands (only level 3 and up, though, which would be about 8yo). I love the way Understanding Writing teaches, and it can be done with young dc, but I'm not sure *I* could make it work. I like AlphaBetter for teaching alphabetizing skills. I prefer reading good trade books instead of vocabulary-controlled basal readers.

For more traditional methods, I like Rod and Staff's English (grammar, composition, lots of other stuff) and spelling series.

Guest stewsbetty

This is my 4th year homeschooling.  I started using FLL with my dds in K and 1.  We took 2 years to complete the level 1 and then completed level 2.  This year I tried a different language program for about 8 weeks and missed the FLL so much we went back to it.  I used WWE for one year as well.  I love the philosophy behind it but also feel pulled because I need to meet provincial learning outcomes.  So I have always had them do more writing than just  copy work and dictation.  

So we are currently using

FLL 

Write Shop

All about spelling

We will also do a novel study each term.  

Beth

For now, reading, narration and copywork is enough. You can add more later. 

I've never been able to stay with one program only, because we like variety and it's been hard to find a good fit for my DD, but here's a list of what we've used:

1st: WRTR/Dancing Bears, WWE1, Oak Meadow 2nd Grade, AAS 1&2 (I had a hard time finding what worked for reading and spelling)

2nd: Dancing Bears, Galore Park Junior English 1, WWE2, Apples & Pears 

3rd: Galore Park Junior English 2, WWE3, Apples & Pears

4th: MCT Island, Connect the Thoughts Creative Writing 1&2, Apples & Pears

5th: Easy Grammar 5 w/Daily Grams, Wordsmith Apprentice, Apples & Pears, Further Up and Further In (lit study), Moving Beyond the Page 9-11 poetry unit

6th: (not here yet, but I've bought most of it) Oak Meadow English 6, Apples & Pears, maybe WWS1

For first and second grade we love WWE, FLL, AAS, HWOT, and we used different things for phonics. Right now my ds is using AAR.

For third grade after AAS4 we have moved into R&S spelling 4, and WWE wasn't working for that child so we use Brave Writer. FLL 3, copywork for handwriting. For phonics my dd did Abeka phonics k and 1, and all the ETC books.

I am an SWR-user, not WRTR.  But are you sure he needs to memorize all the phonograms before moving on?  We don't do that in SWR.  We dive into the lists with only the single-letter phonograms memorized.  We start List A with a list of about 6 multi-letter phonograms to focus on.  Then we add a few more when we do List B.  When I do spelling dictation with my kids, I start with a refresher of the phonograms they need to know for that particular session.  We work much more on writing them than on recognizing them.  Many don't realize that these are two separate skill sets.  

I am an SWR-user, not WRTR.  But are you sure he needs to memorize all the phonograms before moving on?  We don't do that in SWR.  We dive into the lists with only the single-letter phonograms memorized.  We start List A with a list of about 6 multi-letter phonograms to focus on.  Then we add a few more when we do List B.  When I do spelling dictation with my kids, I start with a refresher of the phonograms they need to know for that particular session.  We work much more on writing them than on recognizing them.  Many don't realize that these are two separate skill sets.  

If the OP is using the 5th/6th edition of the manual, then the dc is supposed to learn the first 45 phonograms before starting the spelling words. If she's using up to the 4th, then the dc is supposed to learn the first 54.