Menu

Reading Eggs?

hsmomma

My dd12 and dd7 are getting it through their school at a cost of $11 each (but that's a school rate that I doubt you could get as an individual).  My dd7 loves it (well, Reading Express that came with it, anyway.)  I don't think dd12 has really played it..not sure if its because she is too old or if its because she has less school time available to devote to it.  Its definitely edutainment...I find my daughter in the store selecting goodies more than I see her actually doing educational activities, but she must be doing them or she wouldn't have such an abundance of points to spend shopping!  Overall, I'm happy with it, but I was honestly just filling time for my quick learner who already knows how to read.  I'm not evaluating its ability to teach a child to read.

My 3-year old loves it.  Maybe that is the key.  It is all new and exciting for her.  I have noticed improvement in her reading skills.  She is on the 3rd map. 

On here is a thread with codes for free trial periods.  You can use more than one, but there is a limit on the number that you can use, but we did get several weeks worth for free.  I would recommend doing that and then seeing if your child is still interested by the end.  Mine tired of it quickly, and then several months later said, "I want to do Eggs"

We used to use just the free trials when available, I couldn't justify spending the money. However, my second child wasn't really interested in any sort of reading lessons as such. So just before she turned 6, I signed her up for a free 6 week trial over Dec/Jan to see how she did with it. She used it most days, spending about 20mins a day which completed one lesson. This really boosted her confidence in reading and She really began to take off with reading. So I purchased a 12mth subscription for her. She uses reading eggs as part of her school work most days, only about 20mins each day. For this daughter of mine, it was worth it! I will have to re-evaluate if I need to purchase it again for her, or even for my younger child. They are all so different, and sometimes different programs suit some children better. But it was just what she needed to get her going :) Hope this helps

I can't remember how much I spent on it, used free trials at first, then probably a subscription thru HSBC... But my daughter basically taught herself to read using it, after we'd gone thru like 2/3 of the Bob books. I had to limit her RE time b/c she was so into it, and I didn't want her on the computer for too long each day. She finished all but the last level of RE, had slowed way down in her motivation, so I chose not to renew. She was bummed, but I couldn't find a price/length of subscription I could justify. And she was a pretty strong, motivated reader by that point.

We tried free trials as well and I couldn't justify the price. I'm a bit of a scrooge when it comes to spending money on computer only products. I like to have a tangible product for my money, so I much rather save the money for actual books. I also felt like it was too repetitive and point and click. I also did not like the reward aspect of it. Opening levels and getting games that were usually not phonic srelated to play. 

For early reading online, nothing beats the free Starfall IMHO for that extra phonics supplement. It's great, it's free. You can start at any level/step you like and there's no mindless games.