Menu

Would you eat this? round 4,966

Gisel_le

Yesterday, I put 3 lbs of chicken breasts in the crockpot, along w/ veggies and stuff. Cooked on high for 30 min. and than changed to low. 3 hours later, I discovered the crockpot was cold and  nothing cooked. I'm pretty sure the crockpot must have gone kaput when I switched to low heat.

Anyway, I put the crock in the fridge and am trying to decide whether to throw it away or cook it up today. My instincts say throw it away, but my wallet says 3 lbs of chicken ain't cheap! :) So, Hive, what would you do?

Thanks!

Saying the chicken was cold.....was it still colder than room temp (like it never had heat applied) or was it partially heated and then cooled to room temp?

If it was never heated and was still cooler than room temp when you found it, I would likely do the smell test and cook.  Eat or freeze but don't let it sit around at all.  I think you are borderline on this since it was out for so long and then set aside for a day. If you freeze the cooked meat, make sure to mark "use ASAP" or whatever works for you, it so you don't thaw again an let it sit for a few days.

If it was heated at all (did any meat turn white?) and now it has been 24 hours...I would toss. Barely cooked chicken that sat out for that many hours and then refrigerated is asking for trouble in my book.  Especially because any sugar from the veggies (carrots/potatoes etc) could be feeding the bacteria even more