Menu

39 Clues

mytwomonkeys

Thanks Heather! They look like something my son would enjoy. He loves anything by Rick Riordan, and he also loves Chris D'Lacey. So I was wondering how these books measured up (I know Rick Riordan wrote the first in the series -- maybe even more?). They get decent reviews & amazon has a deal on buying a box set of the first several -- so maybe I'll just go for it.

If anyone else has kids that have read them though, please share their opinions still :)

Kid beach reads, LOL!! When my kids started them I was clear we weren't doing the whole card/online game thing. I wanted them to enjoy the stories and be willing to get some from the library. If they get too wrapped up in the game it can get expensive and you'll have to buy all bazillion books new.

Indy and I read the first 6 or 7 and they were really good.  We did't finish because the friend we were borrowing them from didn't have the rest of them and the wait list at our library was insane.  I'm sure he'd like to finish them up (the main series, not the spin off), but it's been so long he'd probably have to start from the beginning though.  BTW, I liked them too!

Guest submarines

It has been years, but we really enjoyed listening to the books on tape while we drove to various activities.  

We just finished listening to the first book, and I found the audio part it to be really well done and enjoyable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. I have no doubt my son will live book 1. He absolutely loves Rick Riordan. It's the other books I was really wondering about, and they sound good too :)

This thread is a couple of weeks old. But not to old yet. :)

We just listened to disc one of the first book. I was looking for something audio that Youngest would like that wasn't too long. Most of the things that seemed like a good fit for him were 10+ CDs a story. 

Book two is written by Gordon Korman who is my least favorite author. As in run screaming from his name. :p So I think youngest would really enjoy that. I am suppose to act scared of the book when it comes into my house and run and hide from it. 

(When I was in school since we lived in the same area as G. K. we had to read his books year after year, after year! They were not a good match for me - I was in no way shape or form his target audience. His books also were not a good fit for reading in school slowly and talking about them, setting, plot, character development... But we did them again and again and again. So I developed a hatred of the books.)

Guest submarines

Yes. I have no doubt my son will live book 1. He absolutely loves Rick Riordan. It's the other books I was really wondering about, and they sound good too :)

We finished books 2 and 3. The writing style is not any different. The books are decent for what they are--adventure novels.

I went ahead and preread all the plot summaries. I was disappointed that the last book of the series is a prequel for the next series, The Vespers Rising. The Vespers series is happening 2 years later. I don't like them at all, especially as right now my 5 year old is listening to the audio books. It is getting a bit too intense. lol

I'm also getting annoyed by little inconsistencies that have to be there in order for the plot to work.

The kids are loving the books, though. Even if I'm not trilled that my 5 yo is exposed to this.