Menu

Exercise people--what routine would be best for me?

Ottakee

I have several options for exercise daily and need to figure out if it would be best for me to do the same thing several days a week, each type once a week, rotate, a combo or ????

I am 43, need to lose about 50 pounds and have Achilles tendonitis (so anything high impact or really stressing on the ankle is out). I am doing a sorta weight watchers diet. My blood work is perfect, heart rate and condition is great (despite the fact I had open heart surgery as a preschooler), blood pressure is so low that the nurse asked if I had just gotten out of bed, but I do have a bit more limited air capacity in my lungs due to scaring from fluid in them before I had my heart surgery. Basically I am an overweight mom with just a few minor limitations.

I am fairly active as we have horses so I ride 5-6 days a week and am out in the barn doing chores--feeding, scooping poop, carrying water, throwing hay, etc. 3 times a day, 7 days a week.

My exercise choices are:

walking outside--can do about an 18 minute mile (much faster stresses my ankle)

stair master (can do 10 minutes at a time max (again the ankle)

exercise ball---have some on line videos I can try to follow or do what we did in class on my own

Walk away the pounds---have several 1 & 2 mile options

T-Tapp---have the 15 minute basic version and the 20 minute MORE version (along with Broom and Step away)

2 30 minute all over OLD videos----strength and core and cardio (an 80s one with Lisa Whechel and a 90s Kathy Kaehler one)

water aerobics at the Y--requires a 20 minute drive each way so won't happen every week

other sparks people videos---cardio, strength, etc

All that to say---is it better to say walk 3 days a week and do the exercise ball core stuff 2 days a week and then something else, or is it better to do something different each day of the week, or do the same thing 4-5 days a week for several week or ????

Does it matter a great deal if I am doing SOMETHING each day? 20-30 minutes max is the time I have and the reality of what I will actually DO each day. If it is more than that, it honestly just won't get done unless I am in a group setting with friends.

I will go back to exercise ball class in Jan. when she does another 6-8 week session.

What would you suggest?

The Achilles is an issue.  I know when I injured mine I couldn't even walk.  Have you seen a doctor about it?  Have you tried exercises for it?  You should work on that.  

I do not know what T-Tap is.  Does it involve strength and cardio?  To get the most bang for your buck in the time frame you are giving, you want to do something that combines strength and cardio, perferrably using HIIT.  You should do this 4x's a week, then maybe some yoga type stretches 2 other days a week.

It sounds like you're already getting plenty of exercise, so I suspect that the most important factor for you in terms of weight loss is going to be your diet. Can you stick with Weight Watchers? It's a balanced diet and is "real food" so you can modify it for the whole family, without having to cook separate meals for yourself.

If you feel like certain areas of your body are weaker than others or need more toning, you could add in some of the SparkPeople workouts, but I don't think the vast majority of workout programs will be at all challenging for you, given your current activity and strength level -- and those that might be helpful may be too hard on your Achilles tendon.

The ankle injury is over 2 years old but I have a huge bone spur behind it so intense work will cause more trouble and it will never be "right". The surgeon though said it is not severe enough to do surgery. That injury was why I couldn't walk much and gained back 30 of the 60 I had lost.

I have been to physical therapy and have exercises and I have a boot to wear at night when it gets tight. I also have custom orthodics for my shoes.

I do need to watch my diet but have been much better lately. Dh has Type 2 diabetes so I try to cook a lower carb/higher protein but yet moderate calorie diet for the whole family.

I do walk some but we are rural so no side walks and in Michigan which means cold, dark, and snowy for the next few months. I will try to get out and walk more when the roads are clear.

I'd try to fit in the water aerobics classes weekly. It won't stress your ankle and you're likely to exercise longer to finish the class than you would at home. Also, if you enjoy it and it lifts your spirits, you will benefit even more from it. Add to that watching your diet, and doing something with light weights at home and you should see some gradual, positive changes. Since you don't have great places to walk and the weather will get bad, can you acquire a used treadmill? That might help you get the most out of the time you have too.

I'm not sure how you cook, but you could consider making breakfast or the midday meal your large one and having a much lighter supper.

The ankle injury is over 2 years old but I have a huge bone spur behind it so intense work will cause more trouble and it will never be "right". The surgeon though said it is not severe enough to do surgery. That injury was why I couldn't walk much and gained back 30 of the 60 I had lost.

I have been to physical therapy and have exercises and I have a boot to wear at night when it gets tight. I also have custom orthodics for my shoes.

I do need to watch my diet but have been much better lately. Dh has Type 2 diabetes so I try to cook a lower carb/higher protein but yet moderate calorie diet for the whole family.

I do walk some but we are rural so no side walks and in Michigan which means cold, dark, and snowy for the next few months. I will try to get out and walk more when the roads are clear.

How frustrating.  Bone spurs are awful.  

If you are looking to do something new, I would recommend kettlebell.  Lauren Brooks has some excellent DVDs and programs.  Since cardio may be difficult to do the traditional way, something like kettlebell could give you strength and cardio.  She does short, intense workouts.  And her programs (she has a book and downloadable 12 week program) are careful on the progression of intensity.  

I agree with Catwoman that it sounds like you are pretty active already so a good look at your diet may be in order.  I don't know the ins and outs of weight watchers and how it deals with portion control but I would recommend you start there.  If you don't have one, get a food scale and carefully portion out your meals.  Most people overestimate portion sizes which can be your downfall if you are trying to lose weight.

As for your exercise routine - they all look pretty good. I'm a big advocate of strength training so if you can incorporate strength moves like pushups, planks, squats, lunges, etc that would be great.  The biggest thing with exercise is to chose what you like so you will keep doing it and enjoy yourself. :)

Edited - "a good luck in your diet" How did I write that and not notice!  lol

You do sound like you get a good bit of exercise. What does horseback riding regularly address? Is it an aerobic activity? (I don't know. I don't ride.)

One's body accommodates to an exercise that one does regularly, becoming more efficient at it and burning fewer calories. So, in general, it's a good idea to "mix it up" in terms of exercise.

With regard to strength-training exercises, though, you want to leave a day of rest between sessions because strength-training basically tears muscle (not major tears). The body repairs it and the muscle gets bigger. So plan your strength training 2-3 times per week with a day of rest in between.

Given that it already sounds like you get a fair amount of exercise, I agree with a pp who said focus on diet for weight loss. (Diet is always more efficient at weight loss than exercise, but including exercise does change the way your body feels, your attitude, and your metabolism, so it's important to include, but it's hard to really burn enough calories to make a significant impact unless you are an athlete.)