Menu

I need help with MOEMS

LydiaG

After reading about the advantage of math competitions on the Art of Problem Solving website, I settled on Math Olympiad for Elementary and Middle School (MOEMS) for my 4th and 5th grade sons. I persuaded the public school's math team to host the MOEMS competition if I coached them.

Today, the math club tried the first sample contest in  Math Olympiad Contest Problems for Elementary and Middle Schools and the kids solved only one problem (out of 5) correctly on their own. I explained all the solutions thoroughly. After one particularly tough problem's explanation (#4), I looked out at the kids and they looked defeated. They understood my explanation, but they just didn't see the solution on their own. One kid asked, "How are we supposed to know to do that?" Without the answer key, I would've solved the problem algebraically, but they don't know algebra yet. I told him I didn't know. Practice, maybe?

How do I prepare the kids for the contests? The problems seem too hard for the kids, and I don't know how to teach them problem solving skills that don't involve algebra. Are there any other resources that I could use?

I've also read that the Contest Problems book isn't divided into levels, but has middle school contests mixed in with elementary contests. Could I have given them a middle school contest accidentally? How can I tell which problems are elementary school level without reading every problem?

(#4:Q. In a stationary store, pencils have one price and pens have another price. Two pencils and three pens cost 78 cents. But three pencils and two pens cost 72 cents. How much does one pencil cost? A: 12 cents)

Have you seen Lenchner's Creative Problem Solving book?  That's what I would start with, trying a different lesson each week.

I would also talk to the kids about not being expected to solve all the problems.  IIRC, there may be a poster on the Accelerated board who has coached MOEMS and may have some tips.  I have contemplated it and admire your courage and conviction :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't have CPS, and I have heard it's not as helpful as promised.

I have been perusing the PICO (person in charge of the Olympiads) page on the MOEMS website, and it is helpful. I will also take a look at the accelerated boards.

The contest does not have either letter at the top. I have the first volume, and I've read (on WTM forums) that the first volume does not designate whether a contest problem is for elementary or middle school students.

I was told by someone on the AoPS forums that this is an elementary problem.

I would go over the solutions pages first for approaches other than algebra-based (like the pp above mentioned). There are some very helpful tips there, e.g. using charts, trial and error and so on. And I would actively encourage the kids that they did well for beginners. One out of five isn't bad for a first try. Zero out of five isn't bad for a first try either (or maybe it's just me lol but I refuse to let my kid wallow in something like getting nothing right...I focus on the effort). The purpose of these problems is to get the kids to think out of the box. They aren't used to it yet but it will come with practice.

One other approach is to NOT have the kids solve the problems yet but to guide them through the first few to increase confidence. Work on them together, step by little step. If you don't get to the answer (even if you personally know it), leave it for a while and come back to it the next time you meet for math club. In the meanwhile, one of the kids might have had a light bulb moment and might be willing to share his/ her approach with the rest.

Have your students done Singapore maths? This problem is a common one for Primary 3 or 4. I have the bar method solution as an image but I don't know how to upload it here.

ETA: I will try posting it as text.

A] Pencil + Pencil + Pen + Pen + Pen = 78

and

B] Pencil + Pencil + Pen + Pen + Pencil = 72

From B], we get:

C] Pencil + Pencil + Pen + Pen + Pencil + 6cents = 72 + 6cents = 78 cents

From A] and C], we see that:

Pen = Pencil + 6cents

Replacing each Pen in A] with "Pencil + 6cents", we get:

Pencil + Pencil + (Pencil + 6) + (Pencil + 6) + (Pencil + 6) = 78

So 5 Pencils + 18 = 78
So 5 Pencils = 78 - 18 = 60
So 1 Pencil = 60 ÷ 5 = 12cents

On page 16 of the book (at least my copy of it) it says that solving 1 out of 5 problems is considered 'average', 2 out of 5 is 'good', 3 out of 5 is 'very good, 4 out of 5 is 'superior' and 5 out of 5 is 'excellent'.

So they did 'average' work on their first try. I think that's great and nothing to worry about. Although I understand it can feel very weird, when you are used to always scoring 100%.

Another problem I am facing is that the math club does several competitions that are significantly easier. (An example of one other competition's problems: A serpent is 39 meters long. How many 3-meter strips does it have?) The kids are used to breezing through the problems, getting them all right, and feeling successful. Obviously, MOEMS challenges them more than they are used to and more than they want. Even the teacher who coaches with me expressed some shock over the difficulty.

The suggestions that I have received are great and I feel motivated again. Thanks!

Have your students done Singapore maths? This problem is a common one for Primary 3 or 4.

If I were to try Singapore with my home schooled children (4th and 5th grades), what should I buy? I have not tried Singapore, although several posters on the AoPS forums have recommended it. Would I use Singapore to supplement?

If I were to try Singapore with my home schooled children (4th and 5th grades), what should I buy? I have not tried Singapore, although several posters on the AoPS forums have recommended it. Would I use Singapore to supplement?

You can buy, or borrow from your library these two books:

1. The Singapore Model Method for Learning Mathematics

2. Bar Modeling A Problem-solving Tool

These explain how to use the bar model method to represent word problems and obtain the solutions.

Then, if your students need more practice specifically in Singapore Maths word problems, you can get the Challenging Word Problems for gr 4 to begin with.

But instead, if you want to teach them simple algebraic equations of one variable, you can consider getting Hands-On Equations. They have an iPad app, but I prefer the home school set.

• 3 weeks later...

How do I prepare the kids for the contests? The problems seem too hard for the kids, and I don't know how to teach them problem solving skills that don't involve algebra. Are there any other resources that I could use?

I've also read that the Contest Problems book isn't divided into levels, but has middle school contests mixed in with elementary contests. Could I have given them a middle school contest accidentally? How can I tell which problems are elementary school level without reading every problem?

(#4:Q. In a stationary store, pencils have one price and pens have another price. Two pencils and three pens cost 78 cents. But three pencils and two pens cost 72 cents. How much does one pencil cost? A: 12 cents)

You want to get a copy of Volume 2, with the red and blue cover.  Those problems are divided into elementary and middle school levels.  I also heard that a volume 3 is expected to be published soon.  

The problem you describe in which you must add or subtract equations is a little difficult for elementary students, but it should be a great example to explain to them.  (Look at the solutions in the back.)  They'll learn a lot above and beyond what they are getting at their public school, which is the whole point of MOEMS, isn't it?  I think the attitude you see is probably typical of regular schooled kids who find it outrageous to be tested on something that isn't exactly what they've been taught in class.  

I'm now coaching my 4th year of MOEMS for homeschoolers, and I have to say practice makes perfect.  Also, it isn't uncommon to score 0 or 1 in your first season.  Many students have suffered this indignity.  I had one schooled girl visit our team and was devastated because she'd always been told she was good at math at her school.  Regular schools don't teach problem solving skills (which is one reason I homeschool).  

The more exams students take, the more familiar they will become with the counting, geometry, and number theory they won't get in public school.  And their scores will improve.  

Immediately after students turn in their exams to me, we review each of the problems.  I begin by asking the team how they solved or attempted to solve the problem.  I think when students hear how their neighbors attempted to solve the problems they realize it is possible for them, too.   

Keep it up, and let us know how things go.  

• 2 weeks later...

We have now had two MOEMS contests, and things aren't as bleak as they first seemed. On the first contest, we had one boy score a perfect 5/5 and a couple of others with 4/5. This past test, no perfect scores, but a few 4/5 scores.

I have now ordered and used Hands-On Equations. When I have thought about teaching math, I have visualized the scale that HOE uses. So, HOE really appealed to me. We spent on math club meeting going over how to solve the types of problems that stumped everyone the first day (2 pens + 3 pencils cost 72 cents...). I first covered how to solve the problems, and then I split the group into teams of 2 or 3 kids. I passed out similar problems and they used the techniques that they just learned to solve the problems. As each team finished, they brought their answer to me and received a new problem. Teams were given points based on who had the right answer first, second, and so on. The kids became a little competitive, and the game went really well. So, they all know how to solve these two variable equations.

My next dilemma is time. We only have 45 minutes for math club, and half of it is used to train for another math contest. So, I only have 20 -25 minutes to cover MOEMS material. We barely have enough time for me to go over solutions. The last contest, we were able to review only 2 of the 5 solutions. Since it is easier and quicker for me to explain solutions, I don't have the kids do any explaining. I don't really like this because they love to show their work at the chalkboard. How can I overcome this?