Menu

suggestions for fun additon games

bttrflyvld

I decided to take a side step for a little for my kindergartener and make math a bit for fun and interesting for her.  We are working on our addition facts.  I don't want her to just do rot memorization so I've been trying to make up some games that she can use her c-rods to find the answer.  She's worked through 1, and 2's.  Next is threes.  So far she uses the c-rods or other counting items for a few days and then she starts to remember them from using her manipulatives.  She gets really excited that she remembers the answer and doesn't need her manipulatives.  This is what i hoped would happen.  Making learning the facts fun and not drab and boring.

So now I'm trying to find other game ideas to play with her.  We've played bingo with the answer on the Bingo card (her favorite), playing war with her adding cards (if she gets it right she gets to keep the cards), and another board game type came she gets to roll a die and move around the board answering the question.  She's love these.  But I was wondering if you have any other game ideas you'd like to share.  She's has so much fun with math the last month that I think we'll continue working math this way for a bit.  And maybe for the rest of Kindergarten.  Then continue with our math program in 1st.

Ideas/links to ideas? 

Thank you everyone.

There are lots of great ideas in the Peggy Kaye book Games for Math, and the book Family Math. We did the same sidetrack last year and it worked wonders for ds. We played lots of card games, dice games, invented games with spinners, etc. The board game Sequence Dice is great as you need to add two dice together. At the end of our sidetrack we switched from MM to Miquon and ds finds it so much more fun.

I absolutely LOVE a set of math fact games called GiggleMath. It is just games to play with the kids, but it is split into 26 levels that teach the same strategies the kids would learn I they were doing their practice in a book. And the games are fun:)

My dd was very young learning her math facts and we found this to be the perfect, fun way to practice without overly burdening her with writing.

The set is designed by a teacher. The website is below:

www.GiggleLearn.com

CountDown is one of our favorites (wooden bars with #s on them)  http://www.amazon.com/POOF-Slinky-Ideal-CountDown-Mathematics-Learning/dp/B000229N2C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383687051&sr=8-1&keywords=CountDown+game.  

Sum Swamp is still a hit even after 13 years.  

Snap-It-Up is fun, too.  

Muggins is fun yet requires multiplication/division, not just addition/subtraction.

My 6 year old has been enjoying the RightStart math card games. He also likes Dino Tracks. 

http://www.amazon.com/Learning-Resources-Tracks-Place-Value/dp/B00004TDKU

I've also made one of these with help from the MontessoriPrintShop printables. 

http://livingmontessorinow.com/2013/07/22/montessori-monday-diy-addition-strip-board-and-strip-board-presentations/