Menu

How long does Math Mammoth take for 3rd-6th grade levels?

Amy Jo

I'm using the light blue for dd10 (4th grade).  She has used MM since 1st grade.  Up to about the middle of the 4th level it has taken about 30 minutes to do 2 pages, however since that time it seems to run closer to 40 minutes for the most part.  Some pages take much less time due to the small amount of work on the page, such as the geometry sections.  

For 4th-6th grades, I'd say it averages out to 1 hour for 2-3 pages. You know, some of the pages have big teaching boxes, some have more problems than others, but I'd say yeah, 2-3 pp per hour, more or less.

This is what we're finding. But I think it probably depends a lot on the kid.

When we used it, the 4th grade level took about 30 minutes to do one section, but I only assigned half the problems on pages with "drill".

Right, that's the rub with estimating pages - for the upper levels, I have often only assigned half the problems also.  When I said 2-3 pp / hour, I was basing that on assigning all problems.  If they are only doing half, clearly they will either finish more quickly, or do more pages.

My strategy with 4th-6th grade has been to assign one lesson per day.  Lessons typically are 2-3 pages long - some are longer, usually they aren't shorter than 2 pp.  Usually she gets assigned half the exercises for each problem, and if she can do them easily she's done.  If she needs more practice, she does more of the exercises for each problem.

Once she's done with a lesson, she's done with MM, but we do math for an hour, so that's where supplements come in.  Most days she has time to do a couple of LOF chapters, or something else, after finishing the MM lesson, so obviously it doesn't take the full hour to do the lesson . . . but that is often because she's not doing all the problems.

Ok, now I have waaaaay overexplained my answer . . . .  ;)