Menu

Anyone heard of Roblox computer game?

Just Kate

Both my kids play it. They are 12 and 14, but have been playing for a couple of years.

Any thoughts on the game? I've just had a few moments to look at it, but I think you can chat with other players? Is that right? That doesn't sound great to me, but I may be missing something.

If you child registers as under 13 they can only chat with pre-set phrases. They can't read other chat things either. Its also very easy to report people who are swearing or otherwise being inappropriate. Its a fun place for school groups to go on and see each other. They each have a place they can create as they wish. They can visit each other. There are games and groups you can join (or create your own groups). Some of the games are fairly innocent, but most are first person shooter type games. 

There are some costs if you get into it. You buy a card or a deluxe membership to get more on-site money, so you can buy mods for your characters and things like that. Deluxe membership allows you to create more. This is similar to Minecraft, although Minecraft allows greater customization and exploration. Minecraft is also free, but you get more with a deluxe monthly membership. 

If you child registers as under 13 they can only chat with pre-set phrases. They can't read other chat things either. Its also very easy to report people who are swearing or otherwise being inappropriate. Its a fun place for school groups to go on and see each other. They each have a place they can create as they wish. They can visit each other. There are games and groups you can join (or create your own groups). Some of the games are fairly innocent, but most are first person shooter type games. 

There are some costs if you get into it. You buy a card or a deluxe membership to get more on-site money, so you can buy mods for your characters and things like that. Deluxe membership allows you to create more. This is similar to Minecraft, although Minecraft allows greater customization and exploration. Minecraft is also free, but you get more with a deluxe monthly membership. 

Minecraft is NOT free, its $27, if your kid is playing for free you might want to explain piracy and the risks of it. 

My 10 yo has been playing for 3 years already.  He only plays existing games, of which there are tons, and has not built anything on his own.  Hubby gave permission for him to have full typing chat instead of the set phrases .We obviously are not big on censoring our kids, but we have all our computers in one room, so we are around