Menu

What for world geography overview for 3rd/2nd?

Meadowlark

I'm not sure what I'm looking for exists, but in the event that it does, I figure someone here would know :-)

Basically, I'm looking for a primary grade overview of world geography. I'm not looking for an in depth study of every country with useless facts that they will most likely forget. But rather, an overview so that when we get into the history cycles, they have an idea of where these places are. Hands on stuff like cooking, crafts (but open and go if possible ) would be a plus. Oh, and tons of good books or suggestions for them.

If you're familiar with MFW, I know I'm basically describing ECC. But I'm looking for an alternative. Something that provides age level appropriate books. I don't want to have to summarize constantly or tweak too much because the spines are over their heads.

Is there such a program?

If you're familiar with MFW, I know I'm basically describing ECC. But I'm looking for an alternative. Something that provides age level appropriate books. I don't want to have to summarize constantly or tweak too much because the spines are over their heads.

Is there such a program?

I guess I'm confused why MFW wouldn't fit your description. They provide age level appropriate books, especially in their book basket. And their books in their packages were designed for 2nd to 6th grades. Most people use ECC in 3rd or 4th grades. I'm going to use it next year with my young 3rd grader and a tag-along 1st. Which spines do you think would be over their heads? The science book?

I guess I'm confused why MFW wouldn't fit your description. They provide age level appropriate books, especially in their book basket. And their books in their packages were designed for 2nd to 6th grades. Most people use ECC in 3rd or 4th grades. I'm going to use it next year with my young 3rd grader and a tag-along 1st. Which spines do you think would be over their heads? The science book?

ECC might be it, but im just looking for alternatives to consider. I have never seen ECC, but I've read many reviews and have talked to people. Seems the consensus is, that it's better suited for older elementary, perhaps some of the spines are even better suited for middle school. I really like the idea of GTG, now that I know it's for K-4. I hope to see each of these in person, and then will be able to make an informed decision. I'm a year or two off anyway, but do like to have an idea so I can collect books.

We read "Around the World in 80 Pages"

when my son was in 3rd grade. I put up a big world map and printed small blank ones(for free online) for him to tract our journey. He loved it. Really simple. I tried to add in fairy tales from each region where I could. We aren't crafty but you could easily add on a craft and cooking a dish. This was one of our most memorable activities. Simply done but my son retained a ton.

When my oldest was in 2nd grade, we used ECC.    MFW hadn't written Adventures yet.

I'm thinking the only spine over heads is the Properties of Ecosystem book.  So, with that book, you do what MFW says for the age and use it mostly for experiments.  Combine that with living world (not over their heads), and complete book of animals, and book basket...  it's fine.    some people aren't sure on Kingdom Tales... it was not in the original ECC so you can leave that out.

Even with my autistic child who is functioning on 2nd grade level, she can do the "world geography" book with my help.  She can read one map and transfer the information to the page.  We don't feel any obligation to do every worksheet in there either.   Now, she's not ready to sit long enough to listen to the read alouds from deluxe.  But seems to enjoy books in book basket even when they don't match the exact title in the manual.

agreeing with others, you might like Gallop. the Globe better. 

but ECC Basic with the fun stuff from deluxe, and don't sweat it on Prop of Eco.   It's not the only book in there.   All I know is my oldest was in 2nd grade when she did ECC the first time and we liked it.   flags, crafts, cooking, picture books, a few fun facts.  some neat atlas books to just look at pictures and sit on the couch like it was a photo album "look at this..  how neat."  or "you know what?  we get to try to read a map and see if we can figure out what these dots mean"

We liked the biographies with Hero Tales.   I'm pretty sure I can't possibly be the one and only person for whom ecc worked at this age.  I wasn't that experienced as a teacher in those days and we had only done Five in a Row up to that point.

hugs and well wishes as you find what works for you.

Legends & Leagues Geography Curriculum by Veritas Press:

2nd - South

3rd - East

4th - North

5th - West

A Child's Geography, Volumes 1-3, by Knowledge Quest:

Explore His Earth

Explore the Holy Land

Explore the Ancient World

Geography by Memoria Press

States & Capitals

Geography I (Middle East, North Africa, and Europe)

Geography II (Sub-Subharan Africa, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas)

We did Galloping the Globe when my ds was in Kindergarten and we just started a co-op last week where we're going to be doing it again (3rd & 1st grade). I enjoyed it a couple years ago, and it is exciting to be starting it again. I would definitely take a look at it!

I downloaded a $1 book from scholastic last year called "Around the World with Picture Books".  It would be a great jumping off point to add in a cookbook and a craft book to make an easy to use geography year.  It uses 20 picture books and covers a few countries on each continent.  I'm considering using it for 1st grade for my kiddo with very little additional work just a craft, color a map and make a recipe.  You could beef it up though!  Happy curriculum hunting.