Menu

Christmas gift ideas needed for 13yo boy!!!

Catwoman

If he is not wanting all surprises.... my kids (older than yours) have for years enjoyed loading up my Amazon cart. We are low budget, but they pick music CDs, books, gadgets. Then I hit buy :)  What is great is if I do it soon enough, they forget about it and its still a surprise. I also get them gift cards to their favorite places to eat (so they are covered when they go with friends), and iTunes cards.

Tickets to Blue Man Group in NYC

I think Blue Man Group is so cool, but ds has seen them on TV and wasn't impressed enough with them to want to see them perform live. I have asked him about it several times, and he just doesn't seem to care.

I would have enjoyed it, though!

Thanks for the suggestion -- I think most kids his age would love it! :)

Arduino (nice match to extend the use of his NXT (among other things). You can get this from Maker Shed online.

Make Magazine (as other's have mentioned)

Elenco 300 - in - One Electronic Project Lab

Elenco Learn to Solder Kit (Maker Shed also has one)

Make Electronics - Learning by Doing (book)

Thames & Kosmos Physics Pro Kit

Thames & Kosmos Chem C3000 Kit

Apparently great minds think alike, because my ds already has the Thames and Kosmos kits and the Elenco 300! :)

I have never seen the soldering kit, so I'll look for that, and I have a book in my Amazon cart called, "Make Electronics -Learning by Discovery." Is that similar to the Learning by Doing book?

I'll have to get ds to look into the Arduino stuff, because I wouldn't know what to order!

Thank you!!!

My 13year old is my baby boy. If it helps I plan to get him minecraft lego set, ear buds(he seems to always need a new set at Christmas time, Axe set, Green Bay flannel pants, something from Think Geek.

Thanks! I wish my ds was still into Lego, because I love those Minecraft sets.

My 12 year old ds suggested new beats. (He also suggested that he start playing baseball because then you'd have bats, custom bags, custom practice jerseys, and custom cleats!)

Thank you!

LOL about the baseball equipment! My ds isn't particularly into sports, and it has saved me a fortune over the years. Sports equipment is crazy expensive!!!

Maybe someone has suggested Airfix models already. All my boys have loved getting these.

http://www.airfix.com/

Forget about the kid -- my dh would LOVE those!!! :D

(Seriously, he really would! He said that he used to love model airplanes when he was a kid, and he has often talked about buying a kit and working on it with ds.)

Thank you!

If he is not wanting all surprises.... my kids (older than yours) have for years enjoyed loading up my Amazon cart. We are low budget, but they pick music CDs, books, gadgets. Then I hit buy :) What is great is if I do it soon enough, they forget about it and its still a surprise. I also get them gift cards to their favorite places to eat (so they are covered when they go with friends), and iTunes cards.

I do the Amazon cart thing, too -- except I tell him he's not getting everything he puts in the cart. (He usually does, but let's just say that I like to add a little air of mystery. ;))

My 14yo loves Timothy Zahn Star Wars books he's requested some for Christmas over the last couple of years.

My ds read a few of them and seemed to enjoy them, but he hasn't asked for any more of them. I'll have to casually pass by them the next time we're at Barnes & Noble and see if he seems interested.

Thank you -- I hadn't been thinking of those! :)

Apparently great minds think alike, because my ds already has the Thames and Kosmos kits and the Elenco 300! :)

I have never seen the soldering kit, so I'll look for that, and I have a book in my Amazon cart called, "Make Electronics -Learning by Discovery." Is that similar to the Learning by Doing book?

I'll have to get ds to look into the Arduino stuff, because I wouldn't know what to order!

Thank you!!!

the Elenco 300 has been getting a real workout the past few weeks here. I'm not sure what made him pull it out again, but it's fun to see him experiment with it. 

There are actually two Make Electronics books - I mixed them up! They are: 

Make Electronics - Learning by Discovery (the first one)

Make More Electronics Learning Through Discovery (the second one)

We have the first one, but not the second. 

If he's interested in the Arduino, Make has at least one kit available. 

the Elenco 300 has been getting a real workout the past few weeks here. I'm not sure what made him pull it out again, but it's fun to see him experiment with it.

There are actually two Make Electronics books - I mixed them up! They are:

Make Electronics - Learning by Discovery (the first one)

Make More Electronics Learning Through Discovery (the second one)

We have the first one, but not the second.

If he's interested in the Arduino, Make has at least one kit available.

Thanks! I put the first book in my Amazon cart, but I didn't see the second one. I'll go look for it.

Forget about the kid -- my dh would LOVE those!!! :D

(Seriously, he really would! He said that he used to love model airplanes when he was a kid, and he has often talked about buying a kit and working on it with ds.)

Thank you!

My dh loves them too. He introduced our sons to them. All four of them, three sons and dh sit round the kitchen table making them. It's a great hobby and a great way for father's and sons to do something together. The quiet atmosphere in the house is an added bonus! :laugh: