Menu

Good Scholarship Instruments?

Hi, I'm a 14 year old boy in 8th grade. I have played Alto Sax for 4 years and the French horn. The French horn I literally began a little more than a month ago. But my band director recomended the instrument to me, her reason being I am a dedicated musician and I know what pitches that notes sound like. I can play many songs and can learn the notes and embouchures quickly.

I am thinking ahead to college scholarships... What are some good scholarship instruments, and what should I learn? Some people say harp, but gave me no reasons. Please explain why these are good instruments. Oh and I do not have a large amount of money to go and spend. A max of maybe $1,000 in spending money?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Another consideration is how many years you have until college, as some instruments require fewer years of study to reach advanced repertoire. It might not be possible for instance, to begin piano or harp or a stringed instrument in high school and attain a high enough proficiency to compete with students that have been playing since they were six, but horns and woodwinds typically aren't started until later.

Oh, good! I get to wear my faculty advisor hat!!! For a sax player!!

Alto sax is very, very hard to get a scholarship on. French Horn is a pretty good choice-it's less common.

A good doubling for saxophone is Bassoon, and that's an easier instrument to get scholarship money on-the downside is that it's an expensive instrument to get started on. It's not one you can self-teach because the embouchure is so tough (as is any double reed), and the instrument itself is costly, as are the reeds. I'd also suggest doubling clarinet and flute if you can, and learning the less popular ones there (alto, bass, and contrabass clarinets, Eb clarinet, piccolo, alto and bass flute). These are not necessarily good scholarship instruments, but they are very, very useful instruments for employability. I can't think of many gigs I've had since high school that I've just played one instrument. Often it's more like "Play clarinet on this song, bass clarinet on this one, alto sax here, and finish out the concert on alto clarinet". If you're in high school, your school may have some of the instruments available to borrow and try out-that's how I learned a lot of them, and continued into college. If you can get a part-time job at a store that does instrument rentals and repairs, often you can learn the other instruments while there, too-at least the basic ones that are rented and re-rented at the student level, and learning some instrument repair skills will serve you well as a musician and greatly help your budget.

Other scholarship instruments that are worth considering-anything with a strong cultural heritage probably has a scholarship somewhere. I helped a student get a nice scholarship for Mandolin not that long ago, to a good regional LAC that happened to have a focus on Appalachian heritage. If you're a budding engineer or computer scientist, play the bagpipes. If you're willing to wear a kilt and pipe the Tartans onto the field, you can get your tuition paid for four years at Carnegie Mellon.

Look into competitions, even small regional ones. They're not full-rides, but they give you performance practice, get you a chance to be evaluated by another pair of ears, and also get you noticed, and usually have little or no registration fee. They also get you noticed by some of the people in the community who give out scholarships. I got one "Leadership" award in high school that I'm about 90% sure came from regularly participating in, and losing, a local competition, but being entertaining. Those little awards do add up-and it's worth it to ask, when you get such awards, if they can be spent on instruments/supplies-awards paid to the college in tuition sometimes get subtracted from financial aid, but ones that were spent at West Music or Woodwind and Brasswind don't. Which can, down the road, avoid the problem of needing to spend your laundry money on reeds ;). This is extremely helpful, too, in building up those instruments for doubling, because by the time you get out of college, you need to own your own.

In college, look for summer jobs at places like Interlochen and Blue Lake. Even if you're spending the summer working in the kitchen, you get the chance to work with the faculty and play as well, and it's an amazing experience. Performance jobs at amusement parks and the like are good, as is doing a semester in the Disney college program. Perform every chance you can get.

And, finally, have a plan B once you get to college. Get a 2nd degree in teaching, business, or something that you can use in addition to having a music career. Get as many general studies courses out of the way before you enter college so you have more time to spend on things in your majors. Do NOT CLEP music theory or history-you want to start those from the beginning at your school, but take the classes if you have the opportunity to do so, but any other general studies requirements, get out of the way. Perform and play as much as you can-but use those classes in other subject areas wisely, too. Become the best writer you can-music classes are often much more writing intense than expected, and there are jobs available in fine arts that use writing where a music degree is an asset.

Good luck!

DD19 is studying music in college.  She is there on an academic scholarship.  Academic scholarships are easier to get than music ones, so I would strongly encourage you to keep your high school grades up and take the college prep courses if you plan to study music.  She also has some music scholarships to help out - marching band pays (and more this year since she is a section lead) and she has two music librarian jobs. Oh yeah, and she scored a spot in the pep band and that pays as well.  Marching and Pep also pay per diem for travel, so she does ok there too.

She started on the alto saxophone, but transitioned to the bari in 8th grade, which is what she plays primarily in the performance bands  in college - competition for those alto seats is tough!  She is still playing school instruments as buying her own bari is something she has to save up for.   French horn is another good one for getting into the higher end bands in college.

I would really encourage you to keep your academics as good as possible.  Being eligible for that academic scholarship made DD19 highly desirable to the music department when they recruited her.  She also tested out of most of the academic courses that were required so she can focus her time on her music.  Music really does take alot of time.

Oh - and learn piano if you can.  Even a few months of lessons will make a difference once you hit that keyboard class in college.  That was the best advice DD got when talking to music teachers about how to get ready for college.  She was able to take piano lessons her senior year and it has made a huge difference.

Our local youth orchestra is always looking for oboe, bassoon, French horn and viola, as there are less people leaning these.

Good luck!

Yes -- double reed players are rare indeed.

On the other hand, DW had a former student, now out of med school, who got a scholarship for playing trumpet in the Notre Dame marching band for four years.  I would not discount sticking with french horn and switching to mellophone to march somewhere.

My daughter is in her freshman year of college and is on academic and music scholarships. My recommendation is to focus on an instrument that you love. My daughter is a piano performance major. She eats, breathes, lives music. She is getting a Bachelor of Music rather than a Bachelor of Arts in Music degree. A high percentage of her classes are music classes. Another area to concentrate on if you're heading in the direction of music is theory. My daughter is very lucky that she got such a good foundation in theory. Many of her freshman classmates are struggling. They just didn't get a solid music theory education.

I'm very impressed that you are already thinking about the future! My best advice is practice, practice, practice! Also take any opportunity to perform for others. It will help you to overcome performance jitters.

Good luck!

Elise in NC

I dont know if where I live we have a youth orchestra! :( If any one is aware of any I live in CT by Tolland County...

Ask your school band/orchestra teacher.  He or she will know if there are any in your area, and should be able to tell you each youth orchestra's level of difficulty/competitiveness and reputation.

ETA: Here's a list for CT.

As far as what to buy, my first suggestion is looking at what you're playing now. Do you have a good quality, professional level instrument? On Saxophone, something like a high-end Selmer, Keilwerth, Yamaha, or Yangisawa? Do you have multiple good mouthpiece/reed combos for different types/styles? (Jazz needs a different set up from classical solo work from orchestra/Wind Symphony from marching band). And please, please, please tell me that if you DO have a really good sax you're not using it for marching band!

For horn, I can't be as helpful, but the same applies.

Are your instruments in good repair? Are they regularly getting cleaned and adjusted by professionals?

Also, I'd look at investing in you-are you taking private lessons with someone good on your major instruments? That's often one of the best places to invest money in a music career.

On second instruments, if possible, try to find free ways to learn them before buying anything. Most high schools really do have the basics (clarinet, flute, trumpet, trombone) that they can loan out-such instruments are often donated to schools after students graduate, and are good enough for the basics. After that, you can start investing in a good one. For a wind doubler, building up your collection is something that can take years. We're not talking a one-time purchase. We're talking spending basically every extra cent you get on instruments for a decade or so.

Unfortunately, preparing for a career in music-and preparing for a music scholarship, strongly resembles preparing for a career in professional athletics or college scholarships. Ultimately, most people would be ahead if they just put the money spent from day 1 in an interest bearing account. However, for those who are truly drawn to this path and can't imagine doing anything else, it's worth it.

My daughter is in her freshman year of college and is on academic and music scholarships. My recommendation is to focus on an instrument that you love.

Prob the best advice.  Why switch to something that doesn't speak to your soul, only to be unhappy?  There are 2474 public and private 4-year schools in the US, and there is a place for you, academically, musically, and financially.

Another area to concentrate on if you're heading in the direction of music is theory. My daughter is very lucky that she got such a good foundation in theory. Many of her freshman classmates are struggling. They just didn't get a solid music theory education.

Very true! I didn't decide to major in music until I was a freshman and had no theory so I took the intro level courses in theory and appreciation that majors never take. The next year, I had no trouble with the major theory classes but everyone else did. That intro theory course made a HUGE difference over the next three years. No one my year ever caught up with me even though I had a later start.

Good luck to you.