Menu

How much are we losing out by not doing crafts in MFW?

staceyobu

We do all the reading, but we never seem to have time for the hands on type activities.  Is that okay?  Or should I try to redo our schedule to prioritize that type of stuff?  I guess my broader question is how important do you think making a canoe out of paper is to a child's education?  Will it really help cement the learning?  Or am I just inflicting myself with unnecessary mommy guilt?

They do get craft type activities at a weekly coop we attend.  I'm just having a hard time fitting everything into our day right now.  

We do all the reading, but we never seem to have time for the hands on type activities.  Is that okay?  Or should I try to redo our schedule to prioritize that type of stuff?  I guess my broader question is how important do you think making a canoe out of paper is to a child's education?  Will it really help cement the learning?  Or am I just inflicting myself with unnecessary mommy guilt?

They do get craft type activities at a weekly coop we attend.  I'm just having a hard time fitting everything into our day right now.  

Mommy-guilt, the gift that keeps on giving!

I think if you are doing crafts at your weekly co-op, you're probably doing fine. You can definitely just read and enjoy.  I wouldn't cram projects in on top of reading if your day already feels full, you know?

If you want to do more at home, consider stretching your MFW work over more than a year. I used Sonlight, and some of my favorite years were the ones where I did a core over 2 years. That left us more time to go on field trips, nature walks, to make things inspired by our reading (if we wanted to...didn't have to...) and just enjoy our studies. I actually wish I'd stretched out one more core...that particular year it felt like we crammed everything in. I don't think any one particular project is necessary (like the paper canoe), but doing some here and there does make for fond memories. I think my favorite is when my husband dumpster-dived for large cardboard boxes, and we turned the family room into a Medieval castle for several months (it was easy to fold up the cut-outs if needed, and then pull them back out). The kids had fun making shields and weapons, and just playing. Another time we made Egyptian collars. But sometimes we did simple things (like timing how long they could hold an ice cube when we studied the ice age). Did all those teach something specifically? Maybe, maybe not. They inspired creativity though, and were fun.

It's ok to hit the 3 r's and then do a project or experiment instead of reading history or science some days, in other words, when you have younger ones.

Merry :-)

I have the MFW K manual that I follow loosely,. I use the letter themes, character topics, science focus, Bible verses, and songs. I wonder if I should feel guilty at times, because I'm not fitting in the hands on crafts, thus my dc aren't getting all the fun craft activities to correlate with the weekly themes that I see on the wonderful MFW users blog sites. I'm just not into crafts, but like you, I take my children places where hands on crafts are done elsewhere when possible. My conclusion has been that it will be okay if we don't do them, and they are still learning. I love the idea of FIAR, but know I wouldn't do all the hands on projects to correlate with the books with that program either, so I use that as a reading list instead . Confession: I get on a guilt trip about it with dh, and he says dc won't resent me for not doing all the crafts. We've done a few things like leaf prints and build a nest, but I liked helping with those things more than other crafts. I do have paper, glue, scissors, markers, paint, and play dough available for them to do their own projects, just they're not related to the school.

I'm using MFW Adventures this year and we didn't do the canoe.... but we did make the tipi's, it just sounded easier. We pick and choose; sometimes I forget to look up what we should have done or just don't feel like it's priority. My kids love crafts and art but you have to decide it the effort is worth it. Sometimes the sun is shining... so we go outside instead! My kids like the science activities more than anything so I've been trying to keep up on those. It depends what they like, too. Plus doing crafts once a week at co-op does fill in that gap. Do what works for you.

Well, we don't do MFW so not sure if this is helpful ;) but I dealt heavily with the guilt of not doing projects... So this year I have paper crafts available for them to do on their own and I plan one good project per unit (5 for the year). This makes it easier for me to handle and still hands on for them.

I only have a second....we have done MFW K, 1st and now are on week 10 of Adv.  I don't do most of the crafts. We skipped the canoe. ;) I pick and choose a few here and there.  We skip many more than we do.  *I* don't like crafts and I have 6 kids 7 and under including twin 5 year olds, twin 3 year olds and a turning one tomorrow baby/toddler.  It's chaos when we try to do projects.

That said, my children have learned a TON from MFW and retained a lot.  Mine don't need the crafts...though I admit, when I pull them together, they do enjoy them.  Still, we don't do most of them. 

I do think we are going to skip ECC next year and it is partially for this reason...though, not completely and not even the biggest reason.  My understanding of ECC is there is a lot more hands on and it is a lot more important in that program.  I don't want to be skipping half the program.  So, we are going to find a different program.  :D

not trying to tell you not to do ECC.  But if that is the real for skipping ECC..... it's one craft a week in ECC.  unless you count coloring flags as craft.  and one food item every other week.   There is one of the activites that helped to teach a map concept.  but if all else fails and you can't peel the orange.... just glance the picture of it in this

http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=165#p27912

and show your students that it looked pretty on "globe" and didn't look the same when flat.  (both the drawing and peel itself). 

You said it's a minor reason for not doing ECC, but you certainly aren't skipping half the program if you leave out 1 craft a week in geography.  I know there were some science demos.  not trying to say that you should use ECC, just wanted to mention the crafts in global art.  I think we're skipping the Canada crafts this week or maybe just painting a leaf and pretending it's a maple leaf.   But we did buy real maple syrup, so that counts as "craft" in ecc....

uhmm.. anyway..

back to original poster... I can't seem to find my canoe pic.   It was quick five minute thing for us to do and play with.  i thought I had the pic on mfw's board... it's on my desktop though.. hmm.  but I never really did a teepee thing..  instead?   couch, cushions and a bedsheet.  good enough. :)

but if your children are having fun in other things, and retaining info... feel the freedom to not do the stuff that bogs you down.  you'll be fine.