Menu

Few Select Great Courses $9.95

Obviously my (browser) cookies show I'm a Great Course person, because I got a targeted ad with select GC courses for only $9.95.

Follow this link to get the offer. This is a good price for these if you have them on your want list already

I'm not recommending them, just helping facilitate a good buy!

Secrets of Mental Math

Origins of Great Ancient Civilizations

Experiencing Hubble: Understanding the Greatest Images of the Universe

Optimizing Brain Fitness

History of the Bible:  The Making of the New Testament Canon

Museum Masterpieces:  The Louvre

Thinking like an Economist: A Guide to Rational Decision Making

Art of Public Speaking: Lessons from the Greatest Speeches in History

Can I use any of these as a high school credit?  Or are they all shorter versions of the real course?

A Note to Our Customers

Professor Ehrman's courses for The Teaching Company have been enormously popular and include After the New Testament: The Writings of the Apostolic Fathers; From Jesus to Constantine; The History of Early Christianity; The Historical Jesus; Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battles over Authentication; and The New Testament.

We asked Professor Ehrman to create this shorter course to help introduce his fascinating explorations of early Christianity to customers who have not yet enjoyed his work, and we believe it will be just as useful and enjoyable to existing students as new ones. Nevertheless, if you have purchased all or some of his existing courses, you should expect some duplication of material.

Can I use any of these as a high school credit?  Or are they all shorter versions of the real course?

<snip>

Not sure about any others, but I already own Optimizing Brain Fitness and it's the same number of lectures, same titles, etc. 

We use several GCs as part of a high school credit.  This one is only 12 30-minute lectures, so definitely wouldn't be enough.   I don't know about the others. 

Thanks to the OP for sending!  I am a huge GC fan but didn't get notified of this one.

A Note to Our Customers

Professor Ehrman's courses for The Teaching Company have been enormously popular and include After the New Testament: The Writings of the Apostolic Fathers; From Jesus to Constantine; The History of Early Christianity; The Historical Jesus; Lost Christianities: Christian Scriptures and the Battles over Authentication; and The New Testament.

We asked Professor Ehrman to create this shorter course to help introduce his fascinating explorations of early Christianity to customers who have not yet enjoyed his work, and we believe it will be just as useful and enjoyable to existing students as new ones. Nevertheless, if you have purchased all or some of his existing courses, you should expect some duplication of material.

These are all the same versions that usually sell for more (although you can get them for $19.95-$39.95 many times per year). I own the Ancient Civilizations one. I drool at the Mental Math one, but I doubt I'd get around to watching it. I prefer the CD version of GCs and for some reason, that one isn't coming up with $9.95 for CD.

I know _nothing_ about high school credit as my oldest is only 11.  :laugh:

I get the GC for my own education right now. It'll be a bonus if I can use them as part of high school later.

Another option that you may not have heard about recently -- many of the great courses are available on audible.com. If you had a subscription it would work out to about $10 per course. In the audible format, the individual lectures are divided into "chapters" which are easy to manage on an ipod.

Another option that you may not have heard about recently -- many of the great courses are available on audible.com. If you had a subscription it would work out to about $10 per course. In the audible format, the individual lectures are divided into "chapters" which are easy to manage on an ipod.

Whoa, I had no idea! Will investigate later--thanks!

I don't think these sets are shorter than the sets not on sale.  However, I think most Great Courses are not a full high school credit unless you do more.  Sometimes the booklet that comes with the course will have extra books you can read or discussion/essay questions.  Those can help you fill it out into a full course.  If you took a college course, you'd have the lectures, various things to read at home, as well as various assignments.  Even in high school, I think all those things are usually necessary unless you have a student who is able to absorb and retain by simply watching and discussing.

Julie

I don't know how long it lasts. I went searching & found the small print (which I've made bigger):

This offer is valid for new customers only. Savings may vary depending on current promotions. Cannot be combined with any other special offers or promotions.

So, your mileage may vary.

thanks for posting this! Do you know how long they will be $9.95?

I don't know how long it lasts. I went searching & found the small print (which I've made bigger):

So, your mileage may vary.

I had put two courses in my cart over the weekend, forgot about it, and just went back to buy.  The order went through just fine.  And I am not a new customer, by any means.   So, I'd suggest anyone interested, give it a try. 

I have been stalking these forums for years and so grateful for the wonderful ideas I have gotten. Just joined officially today!! So this is my first post!! (Sorrry to sound like an excited child)  Anyway my daughter has used these as a spine to build a course around. We have an audible account and they are indeed very reasonably priced this way. We also highly recommend The Modern Scholar- similar to GC but with printable lecture notes, extra reading assignments, and discussion questions. We have printed out the extensive course booklets that accompany each course (found on website for free) and used that, adding resources and assignments as we go along. Modern Scholar courses are also available on Audible.