Menu

Executive functioning resources/ ideas

How about a general everything to do with executive functioning thread?

Troubles with executive functioning almost always plays a role for our kids with learning challenges/special needs. I have probably read all the applicable books on EF, and have done lots around here to try and help these skills along, but I am running out of creative ways to up that "just right" challenge for ds. Was thinking there are probably lots of us on here feeling the same way.

Would love to chat about what and how promoting executive functioning looks like in your house. From books that you found helpful to ideas you have implemented in your house to scaffold your child's EF.

Please share all of your wisdom!

Will be back later with a list of books and ideas that have worked well here.

How about how adults with EF issues use scaffolding, etc. also? One of the adults in our house has some EF issues, and the other is on overload from scaffolding everyone else. Some practical tips would be wonderful since so much literature is geared toward school and children/teens. 

While the executive sits in their office, it is really their secretary that recieves all of the incoming information. Sorts it out and prioritizes what is passed onto the Head for decision making.

Who sends the decision back to their secretary for transmission.

Where it is really the secretary that scaffolds the information, that guides the executive to a decision.

So that it might be worth considering the idea of the Secretarial brain functioning, as opposed to Executive?

I have been trying to get back to write this post since yesterday. I only had a chance to list out some books that we have used. Will try to get back with some of the ideas we have done.

Books about EF:

No Mind Left Behind

Smart but Scattered

Boosting Executive Function Skills

Late, Lost and Unprepared

Learning the ROPES for Improved Executive Functioning

This next list is more the ready made lesson plan EF books:

Unstuck and on Target (emotional regulation and flexibility)

Zones of Regulation (emotional regulation)

Executive Functions Training Elementary by linguisystems

Not really classed as EF books, but support various EF goals I have for ds:

The 6 Success Factors for Children with Learning Disabilities (Very classroom based. I haven't done too much with it yet, but it has sparked some ideas for me)

Seven Habits of Happy Kids

MindUP

Raising a Thinking Pre-teen

The Whole Brain Child

I think there are a few more, but the above are the ones I have found most useful. I am just on the iPad now or I would have added links to those books.