Menu

Visual Spatial Learners: What does your school space look like?

Well, I have attempted to keep our house looking like a house and not a classroom. However, now that I realize that myself and my kids are VSL learners, I feel like they need more visuals. When I do math, I picture a numberline, etc. My girls are learning without a number line visual, etc. because I wanted to encourage rote memorization of facts because I had struggled so much with that I just wanted it drilled into them. (I should kick myself. I'm stupid LOL) SO, now I am rethinking our learning space. I do have some visuals up. We have a cursive poster, a multiplication chart poster, a whiteboard and some number families that my boys used in 3rd grade that I just left up. Now, I think I want to put up a number line, a solar system (we are studying Astronomy) a timeline and a world map. We do have a globe.

Anyway, I have steered clear of my home looking like a classroom with visuals everywhere but now I think, I may be hurting my kids more by not having visuals everywhere.

So, if you have VSL, do you have projects and pictures galore?

Well, I have just one VSL learner. So my son may not apply to your kids of course. But I've noticed the he really pays attention to and loves the types of things you're talking about. But those same things can distract him when I need focus. It's sort of the same with curriculum--he's attracted to pictures, color, diagrams, etc. in his books. But those materials also tend to distract him. So, though I haven't found the perfect things, I believe nice white space/arrangement (not visually overwhelming, balanced, etc.) without a lot of visual input otherwise is probably ideal. The math I'm using has a text with full color, diagrams, pictures, etc. He loves that. The workbook is black and white, with just a few problems per page (plenty of white space). When working out of the text, writing the problem on paper or a whiteboard helps with the focus.

What I do--their playroom has visual things (a solar system from the ceiling, maps on walls, also a wall with pictures/diagrams/key thoughts from our writing program, and a space for the same from our executive function curriculum. But we school primarily upstairs, where I try to limit visual and auditory distractions as much as possible. This seems to work better for him. But this may be part of other issues for him and not just VSL!

Well, I have just one VSL learner. So my son may not apply to your kids of course. But I've noticed the he really pays attention to and loves the types of things you're talking about. But those same things can distract him when I need focus. It's sort of the same with curriculum--he's attracted to pictures, color, diagrams, etc. in his books. But those materials also tend to distract him. So, though I haven't found the perfect things, I believe nice white space/arrangement (not visually overwhelming, balanced, etc.) without a lot of visual input otherwise is probably ideal. The math I'm using has a text with full color, diagrams, pictures, etc. He loves that. The workbook is black and white, with just a few problems per page (plenty of white space). When working out of the text, writing the problem on paper or a whiteboard helps with the focus.

What I do--their playroom has visual things (a solar system from the ceiling, maps on walls, also a wall with pictures/diagrams/key thoughts from our writing program, and a space for the same from our executive function curriculum. But we school primarily upstairs, where I try to limit visual and auditory distractions as much as possible. This seems to work better for him. But this may be part of other issues for him and not just VSL!

Ahh, I could see how it could be distracting as well! Hmmm. I am the type that always, always needs a picture to go by. Our math that we use is really black and white. We use R&S and it does tell me visual things to show how to work out problems, etc. that is their favorite part. I know when I finish the board lesson, they ask that I leave up the completed problem samples for them to visually go back and look at. They don't do well with worded steps to take, etc. So, I have been accommodating their need for visual and just wasn't aware of it, all around. I want to round out their other subjects. They hate Apologia right now because I am reading in the text and they are supposed to be listening and then writing down the important info. My younger girls color. I had told the boys at one time to not take notes while I am reading because they were missing important information while they focused on their writing. I can tell, I am going to have to change that up and allow them to do something visually while I read, OR let them read it alone and then I go over it with them with some form of visual aid. The journal isn't working how I am using it currently.

Yes, reading aloud to my son (without pictures and/or him visually following along) is not a good way to teach him. His twin is the opposite, so it's interesting to see the contrast. My son is creative, so he learns by engaging (his imagination, making something, etc.) with the material. He does like documentaries too. I don't think Rod and Staff would work here; it's great you're able to make it work for them! My son does much better with conceptual thinking and problem solving in his math compared to computations and step by step procedures. Singapore (and so Math in Focus, which we use) uses bar models to solve word problems. That's a good thing for my VSL (taking those words and making them visual).

Not all VSL work the same.

One of our DSs is definitely a visual-spatial learner, which means he intakes info best by seeing (and by actually manipulating) concrete things -- that also has meant for him that too MUCH visual is distracting and he shuts down, not knowing where to focus. This also may be a factor of some  mild LDs and a bit of ADD (which DS also has).

For example, math workpages had to be black & white, clean and uncluttered, and not heavy on number of problems per page. A stripped down room without too much to look at and distract was also imperative for him to be able to concentrate on the topic at hand. Music through headphones helped drown out sound distractions for him.

In contrast, visuals that helped DS were: bringing out a map or poster while we were discussing or learning -- so DS could literally see just how big/small, close/far etc. something was; or visualize with an illustration; or video animation to see how something works. Documentaries and non-fiction science and history shows were especially good for our VSL. Math manipulatives were essential -- such as games with money and making change, fraction bars or circles, pattern blocks, geoboards, bucket balance, etc.

For fiction readers and read-alouds, DS says he had no troubles focusing or visualizing what was happening. For non-fiction (history and science, e.g.), giving him a fidget toy to manipulate while listening helped him to focus; even better if we had something tangible to work with first and then do the reading after.

A true VSL will not just be visual, but also very spatial -- usually wanting to touch or manipulate, but also needing tangible things to make the intangible/abstract concrete for them. The VSL usually best takes in information through visual and/or kinesthetic methods, and then *processes* that information in the right hemisphere -- random (non-sequential); global focus (rather than detail-focused); and big-picture (rather than parts-to-whole learning). Below are some checklists that may be of help -- every child's specific list will vary a bit.

BEST of luck as you learn to teach to your VSL! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Visual Traits:

- assemble by pictures

- close eyes to memorize

- observant

- good with puzzles

- vivid imagination

- looks neat

- better reader than listener

- rarely volunteers answers

- takes many notes

- watches/learns from TV

Visual Helps:

- illustrate everything

- make a mind-map (visual plan) for writing

- use post-it notes to organize

- highlight different topics in different colors

- write down chores

- use transparency sheets to reduce glare

Kinesthetic Traits:

- favors sports and building

- high energy

- loves to touch

- uses body when antsy

- in constant motion

- dislikes sitting long

- uses fingers to count

- usually has rumpled clothes

- has difficulty following oral directions

Kinesthetic Helps:

- math manipulatives

- manipulatives 

- allow touching

- take many breaks

- use hands-on activities

- divide chores up

- allow building/construction

Right Brain Uses or is Strong with:

- spatial

- color

- music

- creativity

- design

- feelings

- storytelling

- hands-on

- long-term memory stored here

Right Brain Takes In Information By:

- pictures

- the new

- is random

- particpates

- is independant

- demonstrations

- is impulsive

- creative

- 3-D thinking

- drawing

- oblivious to detail

- highly distractable

They hate Apologia right now because I am reading in the text and they are supposed to be listening and then writing down the important info... The journal isn't working how I am using it currently.

PS --

Our best bet with science and a VSL was using resources that were very experiment-based. Let DS see it / do it / touch it / dissect it / blow it up.

Science shows like Mythbusters were awesome, too. And Schlessinger Media has a huge amount of science videos. What I saw here was that the concept really sunk in immediately when done through experiments and hands-on -- or in viewing the videos -- and DS then had a visual mental "hook" to hang the science concept on when it we went deeper via the textbook.

Rainbow Science is very hands-on -- 2-year program for middle school, Christian perspective.

TOPS units (secular) can be great for hands-on supplementing.

Just a few ideas to get you started.

Definitely get out your number line, a solar system, timeline, world map, globe, etc. while in the midst of a lesson. But at least for my DS, those things had to be put away at the end of the lesson -- otherwise he was too distracted to do anything else. Or, he mentally had to "tune it out" or "filter it out" to focus on other school subjects -- and then it was useless "junk" on the wall.   ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

PS --

Our best bet with science and a VSL was using resources that were very experiment-based. Let DS see it / do it / touch it / dissect it / blow it up.

Science shows like Mythbusters were awesome, too. And Schlessinger Media has a huge amount of science videos. What I saw here was that the concept really sunk in immediately when done through experiments and hands-on -- or in viewing the videos -- and DS then had a visual mental "hook" to hang the science concept on when it we went deeper via the textbook.

Rainbow Science is very hands-on -- 2-year program for middle school, Christian perspective.

TOPS units (secular) can be great for hands-on supplementing.

Just a few ideas to get you started.

Definitely get out your number line, a solar system, timeline, world map, globe, etc. while in the midst of a lesson. But at least for my DS, those things had to be put away at the end of the lesson -- otherwise he was too distracted to do anything else. Or, he mentally had to "tune it out" or "filter it out" to focus on other school subjects -- and then it was useless "junk" on the wall.   ;) Warmest regards, Lori D.

we are huge Mythbuster fans here! I need to look on netflix to see if they have more seasons. We had watched all of them multiple times. 

Speaking of experiments, it was always such a battle with apologia, by the time we get to the experiments, we are behind in time and we typically don't do it. My sons hate the little books in the journal they want you to cut and paste to put together too, it doesn't help them remember. Perhaps I should do the experiments first, read second and if we get anything in the journal so be it.. I do want to finish this year with what I have purchased. I'm going to look at your suggestions above! I appreciate your assistance :)

I am very visual, and my kids are pretty visual too. I agree that too much stuff out is very distracting for us all. I like the idea of bringing stuff out while you are studying it, but not putting it on the walls. I also can't stand the idea of having to organize full-sized charts. I don't mind notebook sized charts and reference books with lots of pictures. We use those a lot. I have a few charts from Rainbow Resource or other places, and I laminate them and stick them in ring binder(s)--I have a binder with phonics charts and manipulatives, for example. The charts are laminated and hole punched. The manipulatives (laminated words and sounds that my son can mark on with wet erase markers) have sticky tack on the backs. I stick them to a piece of cardstock, and then I put them in clear sheet protector sleeves. I can flip through the whole set of manipulatives and all the charts, we can write on them, and I can put it all away easily. I am trying to do more of this kind of thing as I acquire materials. I put notes in my main books saying things like, "look at the map on page 12 of the atlas," so that I don't forget (I go through my main texts at the beginning of the year to see what we have that applies). I also have a big cupboard for homeschool stuff, a bookcase (things are grouped in to magazine holders and half boxes for browsing), and then a rolling IKEA kitchen cart that is supposed to be for pencils, etc. as well as stuff that we don't want on the table but we're not ready to put away. Then, we can see things even when they are put away or at least somewhat neat. Oh, and this makes it so that nearly all my stuff is easily portable if we are out for a day or leave town for a few days and need to bring school. And no, we are not as organized as this sounds. It's more the strategy we use than what we always achieve.

My kids are hit and miss on the hands-on stuff. My one son is auditory as well as visual--he often needs to read things out loud to himself if they are tricky. I can't quite figure him out, but he has exceptionalities that skew things a bit. My other one is very visual, but he went a long time needing strong glasses, and we didn't know (he got them when he was four, and he could hit a ball that was pitched to him at 2, so we thought he could see). Then, he spent six months recently with an incorrectly made lens that blurred his vision in one eye severely. He may have auditory processing issues to boot. So, I think he has the VSL processing style, but he's still learning how to use his eyes effectively and often hears differently than we do. Neither of my kids learn very linearly, that is for certain!

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but I bought a cheap tri-fold presentation cardboard thingy for each DC (read about this here, by the way!) to give him or her privacy when working at the table, but also to put up charts and lists that were important to his or her studies. So my second grader has a number line, a list of long vowel sound spellings, and a picture she drew for fun. Each chart/list is in a sheet protector that I stapled to the board in a way that I could change the sheet when she outgrows the need for it. Then at the end of each school day, the screens are put away and my kitchen becomes a kitchen again.  :001_smile: