Menu

Best organizational tool to maintain booklists and keep handy - ie in your purse??

Can you use a Palm for this? Would Homeschool Tracker Plus work for this? And best yet - is there a tool out there that would enable me to "have it all" - the best of both these worlds? A Palm that could "communicate" with HST+ on my pc? Or something of the sort?

Please excuse my ignorance. I am soooo computer/tech-illiterate.

Thanks for any suggestions along these lines. The most important thing to me currently is a compact storage spot to keep record of my personal, growing library. I cannot remember what books I have - and I constantly shop at garage sales, half-price stores, thrift stores, etc. It would be a God-send if I could sit in my car after purchases and just quickly update my library, kwim? I am interested in carrying this tool w/me - having my calendar and contacts in the same spot along w/other docs I can work on in spare moments.

Thanks so much!

I do use my Palm for this.

I just use the memo feature and have a memo that maintains a running list of books.

I also have library software (Readerware) that syncs with my Palm, and if I were using it the way you were (to avoid buying duplicates), that might be just the ticket. It comes with a Cuecat. :)

I have to admit my list of books are usually ones I see in B&N or the library that I'm interested in adding to history or science reading usually, but I'm too cheap to buy them, so I jot them down to check out of the library later... for that the memo feature's easier than dealing with a database.

I love my Palm! I call it my "external brain" - as my internal one is often woefully inadequate.

I also have library software (Readerware) that syncs with my Palm, and if I were using it the way you were (to avoid buying duplicates), that might be just the ticket. It comes with a Cuecat. :)

Do have to have the palm software or the windows software to use this? Does it matter? I have the palm software and was thinking about looking into this. I love my palm, just for the calendar and notes! It has made my crazy so much more portable!

I do use my Palm for this.

I just use the memo feature and have a memo that maintains a running list of books.

I have to admit my list of books are usually ones I see in B&N or the library that I'm interested in adding to history or science reading usually, but I'm too cheap to buy them, so I jot them down to check out of the library later... for that the memo feature's easier than dealing with a database.

I love my Palm! I call it my "external brain" - as my internal one is often woefully inadequate.

up any book, any time? Would I have to have a software like Readerware to have this feature on a Palm? And what is Cuecat?:confused:

Thanks!

I use Book Collector to keep track of all my books on the computer. I believe they have both Windows and Mac versions. There is a add on program that allows you to carry the database on your Palm. The program is discounted if you already purchase Book Collector (I think it converts the data base to palm readable format.)

[Please note that the link above is often to the version priced in Euro, they do have prices in dollars so perhaps if you like what you see and then Google it you will get the $ version.]

A CueCat is a barcode reader. Programs like Book Collector and Readerware can use these to scan the barcode on a book, then look it up and enter the information on you computer. It is my understanding that the Cuecat is a bit fussier than the other readers available but often cheaper or free.

Both Book Collector and Readerware work on you computer and do not require a Palm. That is just an added feature. I should note that I suspect that both of these also work on other PDAs I would check their FAQ.

Another option would be to use Library Thing (depending on the size of your library) and then use the internet feature of your cell phone to check your entries. Or you could just create a Excel spreadsheet and put that on your Palm.

Last I knew HST did not have a Palm version but I would love it if they did!! I wonder if you could convert a booklist from HST to something like Excel and then carry it on your Palm?

I also love a good Moleskine and also like the Levenger Shirt Pocket Briefcase it allows me to keep a few 3x5 cards in my bag for notes. Yes, it hold the cheap versions from Wal-Mart or Office Max not just their cards.

the database onto my iPod. It doesn't hold all of the books (maybe it does now, it's been a while since I checked). I really like Book Collector. Now, if I could just remember to take my iPod everywhere, I'd be set.

this would be a great solution for me at least for my booklist! I'll have to go check out this software for other capacities w/ipod?

Thanks!

How about a tiny moleskine notebook? I like to keep one in my purse for my booklists and a place to jot down phone numbers and such. It requires no batteries and is smaller than a palmtop. :D

huge aversion to technology. But paper isn't working for me any more; makes my head spin b/c I have too much of it floating around in my purse, around my computer.

But I do understand!:D

A CueCat is a barcode reader. Programs like Book Collector and Readerware can use these to scan the barcode on a book, then look it up and enter the information on you computer. It is my understanding that the Cuecat is a bit fussier than the other readers available but often cheaper or free.

Thanks - what a great feature. Probably been around for eons, but this non-techy person had never heard of it!

Last I knew HST did not have a Palm version but I would love it if they did!! I wonder if you could convert a booklist from HST to something like Excel and then carry it on your Palm?

Yep, this is what I was thinking would be perfect! Does anyone know if this could be done?

Thanks everyone! Please keep posting your ideas.

:)

I have an older PDA, a Handspring, that can accept Excel spreadsheets. I'm sure a more modern Palm would be able to, too!

Anyone want to comment on their experience w/their Palm or equivalent of? I have seen some reviews on Amazon and Palm website comparisons, but I truly have little idea about what it is I'm looking for!

Thank you!