Menu

Portland?

NicAnn

I need advice on a neighborhood, small town, or burb near Portland, OR. We lived there for 6 months, but didn't get out much.

Criteria-

Safety is the most important

Nice library

Parks

Preferably near water, but not a must

Health food stores close by, within a few miles

Also, what are the area to stay away from, not rent in?

I recently moved from the Portland area. You really have a lot of wonderful options for all those things. SE is cheapest. You could probably get a cute house very inexpensively in SE and there are lots of home schoolers there. I moved from Hillsboro which has all the things you mentioned, but the real estate market is swamped there because Intel is building a new site. I sold my house for the full asking price the first weekend it was up for sale, so I think it might be hard to buy a house there. Sherwoood also has everything you mentioned and is really family oriented as a community, but again, not cheap. And if you put your kids in ps in Sherwood the fees will KILL you.

I lived in Aloha for 9 years.  We moved away 7 years ago, so things may have changed a lot, but we loved it there.  Beaverton/Aloha/Hillsboro are/were nice suburbs. 

We were fairly close to the light rail line so it was easy to get into the city.

We greatly miss the Beaverton library and, in summer, the park with the fountain to play in (that park also has a playground).  The Tualatin Hills Nature park was wonderful, and I think shortly after we left a new nature park opened on Cooper Mountain (which is where we lived).  I remember lots of good parks though not a lot of names. 

We miss that area greatly and thought we would go back after my husband graduated.. it hasn't worked out that way.  Sigh.

• 3 months later...

If you want to be in Portland, I like Alameda, Laurelhurst, East Moreland, but they are pricier.  I guess I like a lot of the NE in general. 

I lived in Montevilla and it was meh. 

The libraries were all pretty great, while Midland was in Gresham which  I don't recommend it was one of the best libraries.

We also lived in Sandy, which is to the West, it is a little more rural.

Beaverton/Hillsboro has a lot of stuff, but it seems more suburban to me. 

I think this site is really helpful http://www.movingtoportland.net/portland-neighborhoods/neighborhood-guide