Menu

European Hotels- So confusing!

Paige

Please help an American out. I'm trying to book our trip and just when I think I have it figured out, I read something that makes me doubt. In the US, all hotels and vacation rentals plainly state exactly what size and arrangements of beds you will get. In my search for places to stay in a couple countries in Europe, that is not the case at all. I have to guess what is meant as I'm narrowing down our choices of where to stay.

If I see "double" does that mean it is a full size bed/ standard double bed, or could it mean any bed to fit 2 people from small double (US 3/4 bed) to King size? Or does it mean 2 beds? If there are 2 beds, are they twins or doubles? You would never see twins in US hotels, but I see twins/singles listed on the European ones. Do they really mean twin sized beds like I think? It's confusing because you can have a twin room with occupancy for 2. Do 2 people sleep on a twin? Or does twin mean 2 twin sized beds?

I thought I had it figured out that single/twin was really a twin, that doubles mean one American full size bed (bigger than twin, smaller than queen), that a queen was bigger than a double, and a king was the biggest. Then I read a listing that had some double and queen rooms and the description said the queen was "slightly smaller than a double." Then, I saw another place advertise a double room, but upon reading the details of a photo, I see it described as a king sized bed! My head is spinning. If it matters, I have everywhere we're staying but Italy reserved and that is the country that is giving me the biggest headache.

DH and I would not enjoy a trip where we had to share a bed that was smaller than a queen (US sized). We aren't big people, but I don't want to touch anyone while I'm sleeping. I'm a light sleeper and I guess we are spoiled w/our king size bed.

Oh- and if it says private bathroom, does that mean that it does not have to be attached to my room and could be down the hall and it's only safe to assume it's connected to my room if it says en suite? And do bathrooms usually have doors in en suite rooms? I read some reviews saying the bathroom had no door- please tell me that's not normal.

I suspect that part of the problem you are having with Italy is a translation one.  I hope someone else with more specific Italian experience can help you.  I would guess that 'twin' rooms for two would have two twin beds (that's how it would be in the UK).  And yes, a private bathroom might be down the hall, but just for you, whereas an en suite is attached to your room.  The rooms I've had in Italy always had a door on the en suite.

Hotel rooms in Europe can be quite small, so smaller beds than in the US are normal.  

I think there also might be confusion between 'a double room' (a room for two people) and 'a double bed' (in US terms, a smallish bed for two people to share).  In UK terms 'a double room' could have any arrangement of beds that accommodated two people - you would have to request an arrangement of beds separately.

This website has comparative bed sizes

L

You should also know that in Europe (especially Italy) there is often no separate shower. An en suite bathroom often has a drain in the middle of the floor and a sort-of functional shower curtain, but no real shower stall.

I would call or email about the room and bed size issue because it is not really standard across Europe. Chain hotels (even European chains) will be more standard (and more likely to have en suites and more standard bathrooms) than individual hotels.

Ultimately, we always considered it part of the adventure. But, we met a lot of Americans who were upset about this or that aspect of various hotels. You won't be in the US. Don't expect it to be like the US.

We haven't been to Italy yet but when we are not clear about bed configuration we tend to stick with the Intercontinental (Holiday Inn) group and Novotel group. Both seem to be standard. We need a room for 4 with separate beds for dc's which works really well at Novotel -- that configuration has a queen(in the UK an American queen size is called a King sized) too if that helps.

I have only traveled to Ireland but the hotel rooms there are annoying because they rarely have rooms for 4. The beds in the places we have stayed are either a double or a single and a "family" room is a double and a single....sometimes we find a room for 4 with a double and a sofa bed. I would not assume a bathroom attached to your room unless it says "en suite."  We have not stayed in any chain hotels though....I like adventure! Ha!

Go to the Fodors Italy forums and search for places people have stayed and/or ask for suggestions.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/italy/

I know of more than one American tourist who went to Italy thinking they would be staying in a rental with certain amenities and it turned out to be completely different. Getting the scoop from fellow travelers is a good way to avoid that problem.

If you haven't already, you'll also want to read up on the ways that thieves operate in Italy so you can protect yourself.

We have traveled throughout Europe and have run into difficulty because what we considered standard bed sizes and the terminology used to describe those in the US are not universal.  On top of that, there are translation issues.  Usually, a "twin room" refers to a room with two single beds.  "King size" beds are rare.  Often, two twin beds are pushed together to make a double room.  Each of those twins will have its own comforter (and no top sheet).  We have only seen rooms with "two double beds" or "two queen beds" in newer, chain hotels.