Menu

Preserving peaches without peeling?

HSinNH

Hello,

A local market is selling peaches at a really great price and I have preserved (freezing, canning) many things in the past, but not peaches. I readily admit to being somewhat lazy, so I wonder of any of you know a way to preserve peaches without peeling them first? I am not willing to spend time peeling them, even with the boiling water method.

I do have the fruit strainer attachment for my Kitchen-Aid. Could I use that to make "peach-sauce" or something? Just cut them up, throw them in freezer bags for smoothies?

TIA!

Freeze them whole!

When you want to use them, you can run them under warm water and the skin will slip off. Or, put them in the microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power.

Look up "freeze whole peaches" on Google.

They really are wonderful this way and save a ton of time!

Yes - stick them whole, unpeeled into freezer bags and freeze.  Done.

When you want to use one and need it peeled, just take it out frozen and run hot water over it for a few seconds.  The peel will rub right off.  Then you can take a sharp knife and slice around it, twist to separate the halves, and take out the pit.  I do this all the time for eating with yogurt and things.  And they taste fabulous!  (Squishier than fresh, but the same texture as any preserved fruit.)

I have bottled peaches with skin on. We had a very dry summer  and the peaches were very small. if I peeled them there wouldn't be any peach. So what we did was rubbed them with a clean tea-towel to take some of the fluff off. We then cut the flesh off the stone and bottled them the usual way. they taste fine. We have been eating them served with sago.