Menu

Carpet Steamer/Cleaner?

beaners

We have beige carpets. My children spill a lot of food, and occasionally create artwork where they shouldn't. I need to buy something that I can use to clean the carpet instead of tearing it out. I don't want something huge that looks like a vacuum because I have nowhere to store it. I don't want to spend a lot of money. What are my options?

The biggest helper for us has been to only allow food at the dining room table. Period. Secondly, I broke down and bought the large, vacuum like shampooer and I store it behind my large coats in my master closet.

LOL, well I don't allow food out of the kitchen, but somehow stuff keeps ending up on the carpet. It gets there magically or something!

I don't want something huge that looks like a vacuum because I have nowhere to store it. I don't want to spend a lot of money. What are my options?

In that case I would pay someone else to clean the carpet, or maybe rent a machine to do it yourself.

(I have my own steam cleaner, but it's the size of a large vacuum cleaner and it cost around $300.  I don't think the smaller, less expensive ones do much good.)

I have one of those little spot cleaners, very similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-ProHeat-Compact-Multi-Purpose-14259/dp/B002KCMH6Q/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1379828151&sr=8-16&keywords=rug+spot+cleaner

I keep it in a closet, and only pull it out in case of spills or the very rare cat accident.  It works great, takes stains right out of the carpet, and is super easy to use.

our house is mostly carpet and we bought a hoover steamer recently. great brushes and it does a good job cleaning. cheaper than getting the pros to come in (plus I do not like the strong chemicals they use)

The place I use uses just water.  Unless you want them to spot treat stains, but they use non-toxic solutions for that.  They aren't all chemically based.

I have one of those little spot cleaners, very similar to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-ProHeat-Compact-Multi-Purpose-14259/dp/B002KCMH6Q/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1379828151&sr=8-16&keywords=rug+spot+cleaner

I keep it in a closet, and only pull it out in case of spills or the very rare cat accident.  It works great, takes stains right out of the carpet, and is super easy to use.

I have one of these too, and while it works better than any other steamer I have owned or the ones you can rent at the store, it is FAR from perfect.  After a year or 2 it started leaking slowly from the bottom, so it has to be set on a towel while I use it. It's hard to get the unit completely clean afterwards and there is always a scum of filth inside some of the parts. It is also awkward to lug around and it would be very hard to do an entire room with it, I think. It is pretty good with cat spots though. LOL.

We got new carpet in our upper level two years ago and I am fiercely protective of it.  No one is allowed to wear shoes upstairs, no food or drink for anyone upstairs (including the coffee cup that is permanently attached to my hand), no messy art projects and especially no paint/markers upstairs.  I am not usually this uptight, but it's nice to have a floor that doesn't make you cringe when you see all the spots on it.  The kids have adapted just fine to the new rules, and the carpet still looks great.

I think in your case, I would spring for a professional cleaning and then try to maintain it with rules and this (or a better) steamer.  Don't bother renting the ones at the grocery store, they are terrible!

I have a Bissell Pro-heat, and I don't really have room either (no basement, attic, or garage and small bedrooms). It goes in the coat closet like someone else noted. I can use soap or just plain water and get better results than a professional cleaning (we tried that route several times). We avoided getting a cleaner for a really long time because of storage issues, and the first time I used it, I regretted waiting. I bought it on sale with a rebate from the Sunday coupons (they also have them online sometimes). It definitely cost much less than $200, but I don't remember the price ($150 or so?). No amount of rules helps our inherited nearly white carpet--the room opens to the great outdoors (we have a patio, but the surrounding yard is at the same level, so mud washes over it in the rain), and it is the only back door in the house. Our only other carpet is in the kitchen (also here when we moved in), and we are messy (and let the kids cook too). So, we have to have our own cleaner or live in filth.