Menu

incentive system for school work?

I'm VERY frustrated at the way homeschool is going for us so far this season.  I know that I need to set up a definite routine and more subjects (we have only been doing some "back to the basics" math, spelling, writing mostly).  I'm having a hard time finding the time and peace (and also at a time when my brain is functioning clearly) to sit down and make a routine, get notebooks ready, etc. to start our curriculum.  However, when we are doing school the attitude of 8 yr old is horrible and is starting to rub off on 5 yr old (who had been up until this rubbing off super excited about "school" and learning and writing, etc.).  They also "goof off" and act silly and distract each other while I'm sitting at the table right between them!  I'm feeling like a substitute teacher! 

8 yr old is really incentive driven.  We don't use it often but it's been successful in the past helping him with some issues. 

Does anyone use any type of incentive system for completing "school" (lessons, learning, etc.) with a good attitude?  not necessarily tangible objects, but anything that works in your family.  I need ideas.  I'm terrible at making up chart type systems but I think it would help a lot if I did.

My kids would be zombies in front of the tv or Minecraft game if I let them. This is our first year homeschooling and it was getting out of hand. They wanted screen time every spare moment. So I told them they could have a half and hour a day no matter what. They could also earn 15 minutes of electronics time every time we get through an hour of schoolwork. So far it seems to be working well.

My kids would be zombies in front of the tv or Minecraft game if I let them. This is our first year homeschooling and it was getting out of hand. They wanted screen time every spare moment. So I told them they could have a half and hour a day no matter what. They could also earn 15 minutes of electronics time every time we get through an hour of schoolwork. So far it seems to be working well.

I think I'm going to have to do something similar to this......UGH!! ;)  I have the same issues--tried small incentives (small pieces of candy),charts--haven't found a tried and true method that works for us yet...

My reward/incentive system is pathetic, and yet remarkably effective. I bought a package of 820 fish stickers. The stickers are about a centimeter square. If he does a really good job on a component of language arts (like writing the word "too" very neatly in HWOT or answering a question well in grammar (and writing the answer  down without whining)), he gets a little fish sticker on the page, right next to what he did well. I make a big deal about "having" to give him stickers because he does so well. I get a little embarrassed that he does so much work for 1/820th of a $3 purchase. 

The puppet in my picture (the dinosaur) does the math teaching around here. He is liberal with the mini M&Ms and mini chocolate chips. 

The other incentive is that if you finish your work in a timely fashion, you get to play. I'm pretty clear that he can do his work in one hour or six hours. I just don't care. We're sitting here until it is done. I try to be a bit more sympathetic and nice about it, but at the end of the day, the work has to get done.

My kids are the same ages as yours.  Their incentive is that when they cooperate, they get to be with the rest of the family.  When they are uncooperative, they have to do their work by themselves in their rooms.  (Most of dd8's work is teacher intensive, so I do have to make stuff up for her to do on her own.)  I have only had to implement this maybe 2-3 times, because it is really quite devastating to them.  Another time, dd8 did not get her math done, so she had to do it at the library when we met friends there.  It was amazing how quickly she got her work done that day.  

I am not terribly fond of bribes aka incentives, but I do use them when I know that my kids are having an internal struggle.  Ds5 really struggles with perfectionism, and he takes any correction really hard.  So with him I use mini-chocolate chips as a reward for writing, which is really hard for him.  Dd8 has a really hard time not talking during lessons, so use those same mini-chocolate chips on days when she needs a little extra incentive to exercise some self-discipline.  (I give her a pile of them, and I eat one every time she talks out of turn.  I tell her I hope she will talk a lot today, because I really want to eat some chocolate.  She "revealed" to me the other day that this actually makes her more determined to stay quiet, lol.)  Stickers were a complete bust for both kids.  

I also use incentives for teaching Life Skills.  When I was teaching them to clear the table after we ate, I had a jar that I put marbles in when they cleared the tables without being asked.  They got to share a candy bar when it was filled up.  We did it twice, and it took about 2 months.  Now clearing the table is such an ingrained habit that they recently asked me at a restaurant what they should do with their plates.  

I expect my kids to be respectful and obedient.  It is everyone's job, and they don't get extras for doing it.  I prefer natural consequences for disrespect and disobedience.  For example, if they don't clean up when asked, I clean up, which means I get their toys, or I throw them away.  If they cannot play nicely together, then they are assigned something to keep them busy, or they have to play quietly in their rooms so mom can have 30 minutes without mediating a disagreement. Of course, I have to work really hard to be equally respectful and make sure I am not asking them to do things that are unreasonable.  I also have to be willing to admit when I have not done my part and apologize for it. 

Guest StefanieAnn

I will share what has helped us. Last year, I was having a difficult time getting my son to complete his school work in a timely manner. I was so angry that 1st grade was taking all day. First, I had to completely change the way we did school. He is not a workbook, traditional kind of guy. I switched to CM (Ambleside online). I think the shorter lessons and the variety has made school more exciting for him. Second, I had to let go of being obsessed with finishing a lesson in a day. Now, I set the timer for 15 min and whatever is not done is finished the next day. However, if he is simply dawdling over his lesson and he's not done within the 15 min, his assignment becomes homework that must be finished later. He doesn't like doing homework while everyone else is enjoying free time. For a job well done, I reward my kids with free time to enjoy whatever it is they want to do. I don't use other incentives because I feel the reward is in the learning itself. Since we've been doing this, our school days are so much better! Every family is different and you have to find out what works best for you. Good luck!

Thank you for all the ideas and to duckens for the link to the other thread.  Glad to see I'm not the only one looking for incentive ideas!

I get bogged down with some types of systems because they get too messy- seem to need too many rules and details.  I like seeing all the ideas though and hopefully this weekend dh and I will come up with a plan.  Because right now I'm not enjoying even being with my children much of the time. :sad: I think a clear and written routine and some kind of incentive(s) will make a huge difference.  As for homeschool itself being the reward- I'm afraid to try that one!  What if they say "We want to go to public school!" :ohmy:

Last year I tried using an overly-complicated point chart. I'd used something similar before (with older foster kids), but failed to consider the fact that my kids were only 5 so it failed miserably.

One part I kept, however, and I have managed to turn it into something that's been much more effective. That part is the poker chips in 1, 5, and 10 denominations. Each kid gets a "5" for each piece of schoolwork they complete, sometimes a "10" if it's long or they do an especially good job. They can also gain and lose points for behavior. Their chips go into a small clear tupperware container right out on the counter so that they can see at all times how many chips they have. When I remember to calmly remove chips instead of losing my cool :eek: , it's pretty effective.

At the end of the school day, they can use the points for computer or ipad game time. I give them 30 minutes a day for "free", so I have something to take away for bad behavior first thing in the morning :) . Additional time earned they can use that day or save, but points get cleared out over the weekend, when we allow more free screen time anyway.

I like using the chips because I can change the rewards as their interests change without re-doing the entire system, and it gives them a very clear visual when they earn or lose points. Physically handing them their chips, or taking one out of someone's container, seems to make more of an impression than stickers or checkmarks did.